Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,694   Posts: 1,482,500   Online: 1011

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Hasselblad Top curtain hangs..

This weekend my top curtain hangs down a little when I put up the mirror before taking a picture.. Is this something i can repair myself (something simple) or should it be repaired by a repair man...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Willie,
    I had the exact problem, it seems not uncommon.

I do think it's a fairly easy fix but I always send my 'blad stuff to a competent tech. I do fiddle with some repairs on other cameras but it took me awhile to get my 'blad kit right so I had that 500c/m body cla'd and had him fix the rear barndoor issue at the same time.

You are in the Netherlands I see, so wont bother to recommend m tech in this case.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The door has slipped on it's axle and it was originally "crimped" on. The right way to do it would be replace it and if I remember correctly the chassis has to be split so it's a pretty major job.
    The joint I used to work for had us try to squeeze the door tight to the shaft with pliers.
    If I were to do this on my own camera(don't have a 'blad) I would
    1) open the doors
    2) mix some slow cure epoxy and apply it to the ends of the door where you can see the shaft.
    If you go this route, apply no more than a pinhead size drop to each end of the door and keep it away from the pivots.
    press the door flat against the roof of the mirror box and let it dry for the full 24 hours.
    3) Then send it to the guy you should have in the first place to repair your repair.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    so it will be an expensive repair. I saw in some repair manual this problem mentioned. Did Hasselblad make adjustments to prevent this from happening??

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had this repair done on my 501cm a few years ago. The problem is a spring that has lost tension and needs to be replaced. It's a small part but it does require taking the camera apart so it should be left to a proper technician. There's no point in me telling you what I paid as I don't live in the EU but I do remember that it cost me a little more than a regular CLA plus a small sum for the replacement part which the technician had to order from Hasselblad.

Whether or not the repair is worth it depends on the camera you have, IMO. If you have a 500c it probably will cost more than the camera is worth. If, however, you have a 501CM or a 503CW then it's probably worth it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    a full cla will costs about 225 dollar. For 10-15 year of work thats no much.

Jamie,
    Buying a new camera will get you into the same troubles. Maybe after a year it fails again.
    If you want to take your camera an rely on it. It will need cla's. Same as your wife. She also needs food to keep going....

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin