Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,941   Posts: 1,557,545   Online: 1156

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

West level or pentaprism in Mamyia M645?

Hello to all, i just purchase the above camera with west level because i wand to travel light and i fill better looking truth the west level, but the problem is i can't take easy vertical shoot with that combo. The shop shale me the pentaprism with extra 50 euro and return the west level, what do you think. I take the camera and 80mm 2.8, 120 magazine for 300 euro. Thank you all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Trade it for a Mamiya RB or RZ with a rotating back instead
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Its more heavy, i travel with bike long distance trip, and also more expensive, its better for me to spend the money for trip, thank you anyway.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ouch! That's a bunch of money for the old style Mamiya 645. Frankly, a WLF is pretty much useless on a 645 unless you want to shoot nothing but landscape-oriented(horizontal)images. I'd try to get a better deal on the swap for a prism finder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes i now but here in Europe a 645 in good condition is expensive, so you think is better i take the pentaprism?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by alexfoto View Post
    Yes i now but here in Europe a 645 in good condition is expensive, so you think is better i take the pentaprism?
    I'd say yes. It will add some weight but will also increase the flexibility of your camera. Think about shooting a 35mm camera with only a WLF--not easy, right?

Shooter
    127 Format
    I have not yet used the waist level finder on my M645 but the metered pentaprism does add a lot of weight. (it feels like 2x the weight)

The advantage of the prism is for portrait/vertical shots and for the meter.

The advantage of the waist level is less weight and smaller size for carrying.

If I were in your position I would keep the waist level finder and search for a prism finder later on. I think 50 euros and return of the WLF seems too high priced.

I don't take many vertical shots with my 645 -- maybe 1 of 10.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you, i think you have right, i compose better with west level (bright and big view ) any way and the most pictures is in horizontal position.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    and I have made the experience that when you are using a tripod (wat I do quite often for MF) the WLF is still usable for portrait format. Just the combination of portrait and handhold is a bit ... let's say ... tricky :-)

PHILIP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the suggestion of the big heavy RB was a joke, but if a different camera is a real possibility and you prefer the waist level, I'd suggest a 6x6. You can crop in printing, whether optical or digital.

But for 645 I agree, a prism is more versatile. I'm not familiar with the Mamiya system but if, as someone said, the metered prism is a lot of extra weight, is there a non-metered prism that isn't so heavy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin