Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,087   Online: 1229

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Images
    Thanks for the video Aristophanes. That is exactly the way I loaded it. I felt a change in resistance after 4 or 5 turns, but the winder did not stop. I have sent a note to the seller. I will see what he says.

I will also call Krikor to see if he can repair the camera for less than what it will cost to ship it back.
    -------------------------------
    Peter Schauss

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When I change film in my Rolleiflex I always count the tuns of the crank. It should not more thane 5.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Images
    When I emailed the seller he said that this model does not detect the start of the film automatically. He said that, after verifying that the film counter was on "0", I should wind the film until the start marker appeared and then close the camera. In other words, load it the way one one load an Yashicamat. I have not tried this yet, but I am not convinced that he is right. Has anyone heard of an early Automat (serial number is 962xxx) which worked this way?
    -------------------------------
    Peter Schauss

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think an automat should sense where to start the film, thus the existance of that set of rollers. The yashica (at least my C model) has a red mark in back to line up the film's "start here" line, (and you also don't have to run the film under any rollers). Then you close the back of the yashica and advance to 1. I bet your automat does not have such a mark inside for getting the film on the starting line.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My Rolleiflex T does not have the rollers. It does have the red 'stop' marks. So it seems that if there are rollers and no markings then the camera should do the work of winding to the first frame.

Theoretically I guess you could use the camera without the auto-sensing, but then you would have to guess the start of the film and (worse) guestimate the advance of each frame, which is basically unworkable.

Any reasonable seller will take the camera back. This guy's 'ignorance' doesn't bode too well though.

Good luck with getting this sorted out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pschauss View Post
    When I emailed the seller he said that this model does not detect the start of the film automatically. He said that, after verifying that the film counter was on "0", I should wind the film until the start marker appeared and then close the camera. In other words, load it the way one one load an Yashicamat. I have not tried this yet, but I am not convinced that he is right. Has anyone heard of an early Automat (serial number is 962xxx) which worked this way?
    I think he is telling you that the camera is broken.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It does sound as if the rollers were out of alignment and did not sense the beginning of the film. This is a very simple adjustment and a relatively common problem with these cameras.

The film is inserted between the rollers and after closing the door, is wound on, until a gentle but clearly heard "snap" occurs. This snap happens after only a few turns past the beginning of the leader. This is the rollers responding to the extra thickness of the film.

To confirm things with us please show us a pic of the camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If the two rollers right after the film source, one on top of the other, before the single roller right next to the film gate, are there, there is only one reason that that they are there: to sense the film and start the counter. If there are no rollers to put the film between, then the seller is right. If there are rollers, the seller is wrong. Simple enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    sounds like the film counter is an inconvenience.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just checked the serial number 962xxx at the Rolleiclub site. This seems to indicate a Rolleicord II Type 4. The plot thickens rather curiously.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin