Get it repaired and you will love using the camera and love the results, I have both a rolleiflex automat and a Rolleicord, which I had repaired, and there is nothing else in my collection of cameras which compares to them, or the results I get from them,
When I have done this, without the proper tool, I simply moved the cam until I got a roll of film to kick it into action. Make a scratch mark on the adjustment cam, loosen, rotate a bit. Run a test roll. If it doesn't work, try the other direction. If neither work, try a bit more movement on the cam.
Thanks for all of the advice. I adjusted the cam for to put the film sensor rolller as high as it would go. That worked on the first roll, but not on the second, so I added a single layer of masking tape to the top roller. That has worked for the second and third rolls. You all were right to tell me to keep the camera. Here is a sample from the first roll.
And how are you testing? I've cheated the lever that the back presses when closed with a shim. Then I can simply pull a piece of backing paper/tape/film through the rollers.
The reason I ask is that the couple of times that I needed to adjust this, I found that there was a mi-range area where it worked, but if I went either too far or not far enough, it didn't trip. Don't mean to harp, just something about using tape as a shim on a Rolleiflex is bothersome then again, with wear I guess a part(s) can go completely beyond tolerances.
When I was adjusting it I used a piece of paper with a double strip of masking tape across it. I turned the cam until the paper + tape tripped the sensor. Then I replaced the cover and successfully loaded a roll of Arista Edu Ultra 400. When I tried a second roll, however, the sensor did not trip. That was when I resorted to the tape on the fixed roller.
When I have saved up a bit more of my "allowance" I will probably send the camera over to Krikor to let him work his magic on it. He did a fabulous job on my Rolleicord Va.
Update. I'm not sure what I did, but I removed the tape on the upper roller and the film counter still senses the start of the film correctly. It has worked properly now for three rolls.
One thing that I did notice is that when I close the camera back (or simulate it by pushing on the lever which senses the camera back closing) the film counter resets to zero and the sensor roller comes up to contact the upper roller. You can actually feel it snap into position when you push on that lever.
Thanks for encouraging me to have the seller fix the camera instead of asking for a refund.