Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,520   Posts: 1,572,228   Online: 856

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Images

Rolleiflex Automat - first roll is blank

I just received this camera from a reputable seller. It was supposed to have had a CLA. Before loading film, I checked that the shutter worked at all speeds. I could see light coming in when it opened. I ran a roll of Arista EDU (Foma) 400 through it and it came out blank except for the frame numbers, etc along the edge. I rechecked the shutter and, again, I could see light coming in when it opened.

I believe that I threaded it correctly, running the film between the first two rollers. Is there something else that I missed?
    -------------------------------
    Peter Schauss

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    How many turns on the lever did you do before it "caught" or engaged? did it feel like you rolled it a long time?

Images
    Perhaps you installed the roll backwards? You passed the film between the rollers and I am guessing the counter engaged properly to allow you twelve shots with normal winding.

Images
    I installed the film with the film facing the lens, paper to the rear of the camera. It seemed like the counter engaged properly.
    Peter Schauss

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    is there a chance the aperture is stuck on 22? and the shutter on 500?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Film loads at the bottom, then I think under the first roller and over the other rollers. Once you get the film paper leader going onto the empty takeup spool at the top (like in 35mm), you close and lock the shell, and wind to 1.

Images
    OK. I loaded another roll of film and turned the crank until it stopped, about 12 turns. Then I put the camera into my changing bag and opened it so that I could mark the backing paper where it had stopped. I had wound the film all the way onto the takeup spool.

Rereading the manual, I found the following line describing what happens after the feeler rollers detect the start of the film:
    "The pressure of the rollers is released immediately after the passage of the films beginning so that the rest of the roll will slip through freely."

When I looked at the rollers on my camera I found that the feeler rollers are in the latter position. Is there any way to reset them?
    Peter Schauss

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Did you hear the shutter firing while shooting the actual film? I ask because another possibility is that the adjustment of the shutter release and the winding system are wrong. This would make it possible to push down on the release without releasing the shutter but allowing you to wind the film forward.

You'll need to run film through to get the counter and such activated.

Just a thought. I've had other TLRs where it was possible to wind the film without pushing the shutter far enough to actually trip the shutter. And I know that this interlock is adjustable on Rolleiflexes.

EDIT: I posted the above while you were posting your update.

The camera wasn't adjusted properly, most likely. There is a simple adjustment but it involves opening the wind side and takes the proper feeler gauge. Send it back.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pschauss View Post
    OK. I loaded another roll of film and turned the crank until it stopped, about 12 turns.
    There is a problem with the film start sensing. Should be around 3 or 4 I believe.

The eccentric #8 on the diagram needs to be adjusted. You don't need a feeler gauge if you wasted some film that you normally use.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 08-31-2011 at 10:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin