Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,279   Online: 839

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

I want to get into med format.

Hello. I just got a tilt adapter for my Nikon SLRs and DSLR that uses Kiev 60/Pentacon Six lenses and it came with a 80mm 2.8 lens. That has sparked a new idea-I want to do med format. Been wanting to get into it for years. I've been leaning toward a Kiev 60 body-doesn't have to be the best quality, just want to get into it at a modest price. And are there any telephoto lenses in the 135-200mm range that offer decent image quality that are not too expensive? Another reason for wanting a Kiev 60 is I like Russian stuff. Thanks in advance.
    Bill

Pentax 645, Pentax 6X7MLU, and many Nikons-F2 Photomic F2AS FM2N N2000 N6000 N6006 Nikomat FTN

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There are Kiev 88 bodies that have been altered to take those lenses.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by f/16 View Post
    ... And are there any telephoto lenses in the 135-200mm range that offer decent image quality that are not too expensive?

Are you kidding me? The Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180mm f2.8 is the best 180mm lens you can get for medium format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Russian cameras are good but have you look into Mamiya RB67.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I say the lens is superb, but stay away from the body, tray Pentagon six tl, all the rest Russian body is problematic.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I will go out on a limb here and say even though many people have preference to 6x6, 6x7, 6x9 or even 6x4.5 (which I have all of), all of them give you results that are superior to 35mm. I find the difference from the scans at my local lab (which are not high res, drum scans or anything special) to be amazing.

I am finding after starting out with a Mamiya 645 setup that I am starting to fall in love with 6x9.....is bigger better? It sure seems so. If you are used to 35mm and the convienence of such systems, a "big slr" setup like some of the 645 cameras offer can be a great transition to medium format. Once you go medium format, you will get all the cameras or at least one camera that can do multiple sizes of meduim format. I don't care who the manufacturer is, ANY TLR offers a unique and wonderful experience and amazing results.

I started out using color film with my medium format cameras but now find that the majority of my film work simply says more with black and white. Things look so spot on with black and white and medium format.

Get your Kiev, but please don't discount the huge amount of great, high quality to superior medium format gear that is out there for a fraction of it's original price. Eventually I will have a Hassy, but for now, I find all the other stuff out there to be more than enough for me. I am the limiting issue for all of my equipment.....

Good luck!!

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You should be able to get a CLA'ed (serviced) Pentacon 6TL for a good price.

Then you've got the large range of lenses available for your enjoyment, many of which are very good (50, 120, 180 and 300mm CZ lenses, plus the Arax 30mm fisheye).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've just spouted forth on the 'most disappointing camera' thread about how awful the Kiev 60s I had were (note, plural, the first was exchanged by the dealer. Both were rubbish).

I liked the design in a part tank part concrete block sort of a way... but really terrible quality control. Look up 'ARAK' cameras in google. They take Kiev 60s and 88s (which can be modified to take P6 lenses) and rebuild them. I've heard good reports and I am tempted myself. I've heard of other companies that do the same thing, too.

I really couldn't recommend a non-rebuilt Kiev 60 to anyone. I replaced mine with a Pentacon 6. This is a much better camera, but quite old now, so maybe hard to find a nice one?
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll stay away from any non rebuilt Kievs. Probably save many headaches. Steven, you mention ARAK...did you mean ARAX?

And Bob, you have several Nikons I used to have-N80, N90(s), FA. I wish I still had the FA.
    Bill

Pentax 645, Pentax 6X7MLU, and many Nikons-F2 Photomic F2AS FM2N N2000 N6000 N6006 Nikomat FTN

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Query.

Do you process your own film? If so, go to Large Format. Go directly to large format. Do not pass medium format. Do not collect 200 rolls of 120.

No, the waters are really nice in the 4x5 pool. Jump on in.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin