Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,637   Posts: 1,668,440   Online: 871

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hasselblad value question

A friend of my father is retiring, and he and his wife are downsizing. He will no longer be doing any darkroom work (and hates digital), so he's selling his equipment. He's asked me to find out the value of his Hassy stuff. I looked, today, and everything is mint. He has a 203 FE body, Prism Finder PM45, 60-120 Zoom, Polaroid Plus, E12 magazine, Winder F, and Quick Coupling tripod mount. I'm not a Hassy guy, so I'm reaching out to you experts. I think I can get an idea from ebay completed listings on most of the stuff, but I'm having trouble coming up with info on the lens.
    Any help would be appreciated...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anyone?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did that before asking here. Nothing matching at KEH, and no completed listings on the lens. Any other places to check?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hadn't thought to call KEH. I'll suggest it to him (after I suggest he mail it to you...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    The opinions at the website are worth what you pay for them!
    True enough, but certain people (you among them) know far more about Hasselblads than I. I'm just trying to help Dad's friend, who turns out to be a nice, generous, person (and a very good photographer).
    When my Dad called me, to tell me that his friend had some darkroom stuff to give me, I was hesitant to take the 2 hour drive (I've done it before, and it always seems to be a small, plastic developing tank, 8 sheets of 5x7 RC, and very old chemicals), but I hit the mother lode this time. Yesterday, I picked up over 1000 sheets of fiber paper (Ilford/Oriental/ Forte, from 5x7 to 16x20), a 16x20 Versalab washer, a Graylab 900, about 50 rolls of B&W 120, about 30 rolls of color 220, some 35mm Gigabit film- with developer, assorted loupes and Spotone stuff.
    Tomorrow, I'm heading back for a 4x5 LPL/Saunders, with the Heiland Split Grade units, a 4x5 Beseler w/colorhead (maybe-I'm undecided, as I already have one, but his colorhead is in much better shape), Nice lenses/timers/jugs/chems/ trays, and the assorted other odds 'n ends you never have too much of...

All he wants for this stuff is a little valuation help (and, maybe help selling the Hassy stuff, and his Mamiya 645AF system), as well as a few of my prints for their new place.

Another plus was seeing his original Karsh and Berenice Abbott prints, along with Steichen's Steerage, which is from an original copy of Camera Work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience (FWIW) is that doubling what KEH offers will get you to what they will sell it for. That might be a bit high for a private party to private party sale unless the item is somewhat rare and in demand. Conversely, ebay completed sales may undervalue items in very, very good condition. So I'd treat that as a floor.

Of course, a large factor is how quickly he wants to sell. The more time he's willing to take, the more he can get. And location counts, in terms of a local market.

If it hasn't been used recently, I think a good investment is running a roll of film through to test camera and lens. Then he can say that the camera "is" working as opposed to "was" working. I'm personally leery of someone selling expensive gear who hasn't taken the time to test it.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin