Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,945   Posts: 1,557,736   Online: 1089

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Something between a Holga and a Hasselblad

What I would like to see in Medium Format would be a step above a Holga but not as expensive as a Hasselblad. About $500 would be a good range to shoot for and it would be simple but have a good lens. It could be all manual and not have interchangeable backs, finders, and possibly lenses. Not that many years ago you could buy a Yashicamat 124 for a little over $100 and even if it was twice that now would still be a good deal. I know new film cameras are few and far between but I would like to see one in this range
    Marvin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [EDIT: oops - these are all used, not available new a.f.a.i.k.]
    my order, no one else's, closer to the 'blad side of things:
    rolleiflex [maybe not <$500],
    mamiya C330, RB67
    Fuji 6x7

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Today you can get a Yashicamat for $40, an RB67 kit for $400... why shoot for an over priced junker?

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lotsa nice used TLRs in your price range. Rolleiflexs with tessar lenses (automat) are right in the middle of that range. Yashica TLRs go from 0-$400 (pretty 124g with working meter) Mamiya TLRs are right in the middle too. Not brand new stuff, but the newer stuff isn't as pretty or as solid as the 50-60-early 70's gear.

A late model yashica 124g with a cla would be as close to new as you can get. There's such an abundance of good old gear, it'd be a tough market to crack for new quality TLRs if they are to compete against used gear. For big bucks you can get a bessa or fuji 120 folder. Also out of your price range is the newish rangefinders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmmmm... this is like asking (to me) to locate something halfway between a zebra and a vcr... what do you want? Something with it's own funky image characteristics like a Holga - or a semi serious technical camera like the Hassy? If you're looking for something that's a bit funky - maybe go with an old (40s ish) rolleicord or something along those lines... each camera type is a tool, each with their own characteristics - even the lower end can produce images just as captivating as the 'high end' - it's really not about the equipment in the end - you might never know it from reading these forums - but it's about what's between your ears that matters...

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I think he's referring to new cameras.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What's wrong with a modular camera? Bronica ETR's are going on eBay for a song. I picked up a whole ETRS kit, 75mm lens, metered prism, speed grip, extra back, all in decent condition, for under $250. The 75mm is a great lens.
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    I think he's referring to new cameras.

Jon

+1
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I see... I would strongly recommend the second hand market... why get a new KIA when you can get a second hand Lamborghini for the same price? Well that's my opinion. Maybe I'm a little cheap but I've never bought a new camera with the exception of my Sinar in 1998... I don't see the point in it. But that's me.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd recommend a Holga, lots of gaffer's tape, a dark bar with enough left to cover your tab as you admire your prints. C'mon...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin