Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,456   Online: 1027

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Hasselblad mutar 2x versus vivitar 2x teleconverter

I did a basic test with my new zeiss mutar 2x converter and the vivitar 2x converter.

The difference after scanning is not that much that it is noticable after scanning. Maybe a 30x30cm print of a part of the image would show the difference at macro level.

My opinion is that the vivitar it's image has somewhat more overall contrast than the mutar shows. The images where on the same film and shot directly after each other.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mutar.jpg   vivitar.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Go half or one stop darker with Mutar. I think it would solve the problem. But I would expect more sharpness from Zeiss. My Rollei 35S does not attract the eye at normal exposure with its Sonnar 40 mm but when it goes 1 , 1 1/2 stop darker , it is very attractive.
    If you want to go with Mutar , you better make more experiments with test strips.

Good luck ,

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, I have wondered about the difference. I have a Kenko 2X and in 4 years I used it exactly once, having to really push for a reason to use it with the 250mm lens.

I would have expected the Mutar to be sharper too and the Japanese products to have higher contrast. Which lens did you use for the test?

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I used the 250mm cf lens.

Umut,
    The highlights of both negs are almost the same. Only the shadows are different. That would mean that the mutar get's more out of the shadow areas than the vivitar does.

This is no sciencetific test. Only a quick look to see the difference. I often see responses from people saying that their lens is the greatest, but no pics along to prove it. I was curious if the vivitar would be dramatic compaired to the mutar. But my first opinion is that it's not bad.
    A second hand vivitar can be bought here for around 70 euro. A mutar from 245 euro.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I regularly use a Vivitar x2 with the 150mm Sonnar on my Hasselblad and I've found the results to be excellent in darkroom prints up to 16x16. I had a 250mm lens but sold it when I found the quality of the x2 combination performed just as well (to my eyes).

Steve

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin