Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,266   Online: 717

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is quick to switch backs and I agree with all you said about a slide for every back and the slide on the Polaroid being different. It will be a heavy setup but the MF shots will yield priceless prints to be treasured.

I still have an old Pro back without interlocks along with some Pro-S backs so I always have to be careful to know what I'm using.

The Polaroid coverage makes me wish for an RB69 instead of an RB67 though.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This guys uses Polaroids at weddings:

http://canlasphotography.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ya learn sumptin every time at APUG

I didn't know Polaroid darkslides were different than others for the RB's but I'm glad to know that little tidbit. Anyway, I was thinking that perhaps if might be better to have a 4X5 field camera for those Polaroid shots. That way you are giving them a bigger picture, and I believe there would not be the dark border cut off. You would have to load them seperately I think, (I'm not familiar with 4X5's). A used Toyo or something might be another option. I will take back the statement I made about the backs being a hassle to remove from the RB's. Yes, it is a quick process, but you then have a back to take care of. If you have an assistant, that person can be setting up the 4X5 while you are shooting something else. Just a thought, may not be a good one though.

Shooter
    Multi Format

One more thing,

Alistar made a comment about removing the back and said the whole thing drops off including the 'P' adapter. The newist back I think is the HP701 and that doesn't use the P adapter. It is all built in.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That just makes it even easier Ric, or rather it doesn't make a difference.. if you're only using one Polaroid back it remains wedded to the P adapter and is treated as just one unit. With either version of the P-back it's still just a single lever under the body to release the whole. And it's only one more back to look after, you'll probably have at least two or three preloaded before you start the day and will be reloading in quiet moments (or have an assistant reload).

I agree that something with better coverage of the FP film would be better for using it as a product in it's own right. In idle moments I've been doodling a die cut fold-around card to get around the problem by matting it for presentation as a unique art card, but that's just making the best of a bad deal.

(PS the weather has been changeable of late, but that is by far the worst spell of my name in quite a while! )

Shooter
    35mm
    I believe for the wedding, only a p-back would be on the camera... No changing between 120s & p-backs.

I just want something "Artsy".

Not sure a little instant polaroid camera would be congruent with "Artsy". Some of this is PERCEIVED value of using a sb67 or rx67.

Alastair - I love the idea of the cut out and matting!! Thats what i am talking about - artsy/classy/thoughtful

G

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hey, what do you expect from an American?

[(PS the weather has been changeable of late, but that is by far the worst spell of my name in quite a while! )[/QUOTE]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, I suppose you will be telling me next that 'color' is really spelled 'colour'. I used the American spelling of your name. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric Trexell View Post
    [(PS the weather has been changeable of late, but that is by far the worst spell of my name in quite a while! )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, I suppose you will be telling me next that 'color' is really spelled 'colour'. I used the American spelling of your name. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Editted for politeness now that I've stewed on it..
    Last edited by Alastair_I; 09-06-2011 at 06:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thread jacking/reviving maybe, BUT

how does the shutter mechanism work for an RB on taking a instant photo? There are usually interlocks between the body and the film back right - do they exist for the polaroid backs as well?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I wanted to address a few things, First off, I own the Mamiya RZ67 Pro II, it's a great camera, I also own the Polaroid back, there is only one polaroid back, the 545 is for large format backs so that won't at all be part of what you're looking for so don't worry about getting the wrong back, all the RZ polaroid backs take the same film.

Second, the OP said he wanted to use the RZ67 ONLY for the polaroid shots, and would use his Digital for the rest of the wedding, so weight isn't an issue (also the digital he uses is as heavy as the RZ67 just handles easier.

Third, polaoid pack film (fuji fp100-c and fp-3000bw are NOT discontinued... what is discontinued in the US market is the 4x5 versions called fp100-C-45 and fp100-bw-45 respectively... B&H is almost sold out of the last shipment of the 45 version and they are obvious because they are $40 a pack instead of $8 a pack, so the OP won't buy the wrong film... ) The normal fuji versions for the mamiya or similar camera are still in production, both B&W and Color versions. Yes the RZ67 can be stopped down to handle 3000 speed film, also for inside shots near a window or something, 3000 is perfect for a bride, really artistic images can be created with it.

Fourth, I also use my pocket wizards to fire off the RZ67 Pro II camera with studio strobes, it works great, BUT you MUST buy the NEW pocket wizard Plus III because the Plus II version isn't oriented correctly and gets in the way of the focusing knob on the body of the RZ. There's one work around, if you own the canon or nikon specific pocket wizards and got that little "interference" in between adapter thing, it's a small piece of metal and plastic that extends the height of the hot shoe slightly (and prevents interference if you add an on camera flash on top of your pocket wizard) anyway this little piece will extend the Plus II high enough that you can attach it properly, that's what I used until I switched to the Plus III system and realized I didn't need the stupid connector anymore (thank goodness I was always misplacing it).

What else is there... umm the RZ67 is a great camera... if you REALLY think you'll go into digital MF someday, and you have the money... look at the Mamiya RZ67 Pro II-D which is a step up and has digital connections so that the digital back can record information in the metadata about the shot like the f/stop and lens aperture at the time the shot is fired which can be useful. It's not necessary, you can use a digital back on the regular Pro II, but if you've got the kind of money for a 1D you probably can afford the increased cost of a used Pro II-D over the standard Pro II.

That said the Pro II's can be had for a song... I've just moved to LF from MF and I still use my Mamiya RZ but not like I used to, I'm still new to LF so I'm not sure I want to get rid of my whole RZ kit just yet, but I can see myself not using it anymore... if I'm going to have the 4x5 camera case, I don't need to cary around both huge setups and can always throw a 120 back on the 4x5 camera... so I MIGHT be convinced to sell it... and I have a 180mm, a 90mm, and a 50mm lens, Body, and TWO polaroid backs so you can load the B&W and Color, at least thats what I do PM me if you want to make an offer.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin