Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,268   Online: 1110

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    Thread jacking/reviving maybe, BUT

how does the shutter mechanism work for an RB on taking a instant photo? There are usually interlocks between the body and the film back right - do they exist for the polaroid backs as well?
    Just realized this was an old thread hahahaha

What do you mean? This isn't polaroid integral film, this is pack film... there doesn't need to be any communication between the back and the body. This is not The Impossible Project film, this is Fuji / Polaroid PACK film.. very different.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My question has to do with interlocks. Now, with the rb pro, pro-s and finally Sd, thr exist different levels of interlocks. My camera body is an rb pro-s - so was wondering what locks would be missing. Reading around here, I know that, for example, the 'dark slide' lock is missing.
    I'm wondering about multiple exposure, and other locks and fail safes that are built-in.

Aside- the RZ and flash question, are the RB and RZ familiar that ways?

- via tapatalk.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    My question has to do with interlocks. Now, with the rb pro, pro-s and finally Sd, thr exist different levels of interlocks. My camera body is an rb pro-s - so was wondering what locks would be missing. Reading around here, I know that, for example, the 'dark slide' lock is missing.
    I'm wondering about multiple exposure, and other locks and fail safes that are built-in.

Aside- the RZ and flash question, are the RB and RZ familiar that ways?

- via tapatalk.
    The RB and RZ are the same as far as bellows extension etc. The RB really doesn't have any safety things like the RZ does, I think you can even take the lens off while an exposure is happening haha! (I could be wrong, but I know you CANT do that with the RZ, it actually locks the breach). I think you have to wind both the film and the shutter on the RB, on the RZ the one cocking motion winds both the film advance and the shutter/mirror in one motion. I clearly don't have an RB so I can't be sure of the rest. I do use a 70mm back which is an RB back and I have the "G adapter" which adapts the mini-graflock attachment of the RB to the fancy rotating back system of the RZ (so yes the backs that attach are completely different. For the RZ there is a "rotating back" option you can buy separately that didn't come on the original models, I don't know if the Pro-S version has that included or not.

Basically the RZ is a much better design in almost every way with added "features" with one huge exception ... the RZ is electronic so it uses batteries for the shutter, not true for the RB so is your battery goes dead, you can use the RB in the middle of the night on a 2 hour exposure and have no worries, for the RZ it only functions at 1/400 when the battery dies, which is no help when you're 30 minutes into a 2 hour long exposure and the battery dies and the shutter closes on you... yes this happened to me ... twice.... lol

But all the safety features of the dark slide pulling prevention etc are really handy. I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten to pull the dark slide out with the 70mm back and gotten a blank picture, if this were a normal RZ back, the camera body wouldn't let me take the picture and would have a little glowing red/orange light with a picture of a dark slide...

Also the optional viewfinder you can buy that has an exposure meter and auto exposure features is a nice touch, and is way fancier than the RB's one if it even has an auto exposure option, not sure.

I mean, that's why they make new models because the new models have more /better features...

I don't know anything about the auto winders you can get, I shoot film so I can slow down... haha

Hope that was helpful.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, yes, most of the interlocks are there on the RB as well - not clear indicators as such but the shutter won't fire and that basically tells me a Lock has been tripped!
    As someone on a flickr group said 'if the camera isn't letting you fire the shutter, generally means you screwed up!'
    Its just an amazing product and piece of design and engineering, I feel thrilled just to hold it.

I mixed up in my earlier post. I wanted to know if the usage of flash was similar between RZ and RB ; OR does the RZ have a hot shoe or something?

- via tapatalk.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To add - the flash question stems from the mention of the cactus in your earlier post.

:-)

- via tapatalk.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    To add - the flash question stems from the mention of the cactus in your earlier post.

:-)

- via tapatalk.
    Cactus? hmm I don't remember that ... haha

However I don't know about the RB but the RZ does have a hot shoe yes, and it fires all the way up to the max shutter speed of 1/400 synced to the flash with no issues.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Cactus? hmm I don't remember that ... haha

However I don't know about the RB but the RZ does have a hot shoe yes, and it fires all the way up to the max shutter speed of 1/400 synced to the flash with no issues.
    Oh wow. I should have read more about the RZ then! Even though I prefer a fully manual camera, I can still fire off-camera flash on my Nikon FG with a remote trigger. This would be a handy feature to have on the RB!

Re-reading your post, I think ill have some more questions on the RZ! :-D

P.s. Meant this below; Are the cactus and pocket wizards different brands? Not very brand aware on this, sorry!

------

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I

Fourth, I also use my pocket wizards to fire off the RZ67 Pro II camera with studio strobes, it works great, BUT you MUST buy the NEW pocket wizard Plus III because the Plus II version isn't oriented correctly and gets in the way of the focusing knob on the body of the RZ. There's one work around, if you own the canon or nikon specific pocket wizards and got that little "interference" in between adapter thing, it's a small piece of metal and plastic that extends the height of the hot shoe slightly (and prevents interference if you add an on camera flash on top of your pocket wizard) anyway this little piece will extend the Plus II high enough that you can attach it properly, that's what I used until I switched to the Plus III system and realized I didn't need the stupid connector anymore (thank goodness I was always misplacing it).

- via tapatalk.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Oh wow. I should have read more about the RZ then! Even though I prefer a fully manual camera, I can still fire off-camera flash on my Nikon FG with a remote trigger. This would be a handy feature to have on the RB!

Re-reading your post, I think ill have some more questions on the RZ! :-D

P.s. Meant this below; Are the cactus and pocket wizards different brands? Not very brand aware on this, sorry!

------

- via tapatalk.
    I don't see the word "cactus" anywhere in the text that I typed, sorry, still confused, and I've never heard of cactus brand...

As far as your nikon, you can still use the pc x-sync to fire your flash on the RB, it's a small metal round hole, you can buy an attachment "hot shoe" that connects to it with a wire, it's how everyone used to use a flash before they were integrated into the camera's body.

Go to a camera store and they should have one... they look like this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-Sync-Fl...-/270831854642

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I meant these (cactus); and umm, I mis-read it - I got confused between different brands.

I already have a hotshoe on the Nikon, so thankfully no PC-sync cable required, I wouldnt require that for 35mm thankfully. Looks promising for the RB, although I am not sure where I would be able to tether or place that cable to!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I meant these (cactus); and umm, I mis-read it - I got confused between different brands.

I already have a hotshoe on the Nikon, so thankfully no PC-sync cable required, I wouldnt require that for 35mm thankfully. Looks promising for the RB, although I am not sure where I would be able to tether or place that cable to!
    Ok when you reference a product that someone else hasn't mentioned, you should make it clear that you're talking about some other brand. That said, those cactus look to be really cheap triggers, I'm not saying they aren't good, I'm just not familiar with a lot of the lower brand names, I only use pocket wizard brand which is top of the line.

You need to do more research... you need the PC sync cable for the RB, and then you also need this... http://www.amazon.com/Bower-Flash-Br.../dp/B000NL5X5S or one like it, it's an L bracket with a cold shoe attachment (or in this case two attachments for vertical and horizontal (you don't need both for the RB with rotating back, you just need the top one). You attach the bottom of the L to the bottom of the camera where the tripod attachment hole is, and then your trigger on top with the PC x-sync cable.

These statements are not meant to sound angry, I'm just often direct, so please don't read this the wrong way, you're doing fine, obviously new, very anxious (I probably sound like this to a lot of people here) but try and google some of this stuff before you ask, in fact, try and learn more about this stuff before you buy an expensive camera that you're not sure how to use HAHA And READ YOUR RB67 MANUAL!! If you had you wouldn't have asked about the x-sync or other questions.

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/mamiya/...rb67_pro_s.htm

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin