Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,542   Posts: 1,572,821   Online: 978

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use the CTR-301P flash triggers and they are rated to sync up to 1/500. Not all of the wireless ones do. Something to make sure when researching.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Ok when you reference a product that someone else hasn't mentioned, you should make it clear that you're talking about some other brand.
    As I said, I mis-read and confused (mistook) one brand for another. Don't think I could be clearer on that! :-P

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    These statements are not meant to sound angry, I'm just often direct, so please don't read this the wrong way, you're doing fine, obviously new, very anxious (I probably sound like this to a lot of people here) but try and google some of this stuff before you ask, in fact, try and learn more about this stuff before you buy an expensive camera that you're not sure how to use HAHA And READ YOUR RB67 MANUAL!! If you had you wouldn't have asked about the x-sync or other questions.

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/mamiya/...rb67_pro_s.htm
    Haha, thanks! Neither anxious nor new to Google, my questions were actually more on the RZ v RB(specifically as you had an RZ), and the manual really wouldn't have helped there! :-P

- via tapatalk.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mweintraub View Post
    I use the CTR-301P flash triggers and they are rated to sync up to 1/500. Not all of the wireless ones do. Something to make sure when researching.
    Thanks, will keep that in mind; most of my current set-up doesn't go that fast yet! :-)

- via tapatalk.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Cactus brand triggers have certain models that are rated to withstand high synch trigger voltages, so in that way they are different from most of the cheap triggers out there.

And with the exception of the original RB67 Pro models, the RB67 has most of the same safety interlocks as the RZ67 models.

The RB67 offers a 6x8 option, whereas the RZ67 does not. It is a bit difficult to put into effect, as the necessary accessory parts are not well documented.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    Thanks, will keep that in mind; most of my current set-up doesn't go that fast yet! :-)

- via tapatalk.
    Fair enough, but some only go to up 1/250 or 1/125. It's always good to over shoot with wireless sync speeds because the fastest they sync will drop based on interference, battery voltage, etc.

The RB/RZs go up to 1/400, right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fair enough, but some only go to up 1/250 or 1/125. It's always good to over shoot with wireless sync speeds because the fastest they sync will drop based on interference, battery voltage, etc.

The RB/RZs go up to 1/400, right?
    The RB/RZs do go up to 1/400, but the question is complicated by the fact that the RB/RZ shutters are leaf shutters, not focal plane shutters.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The RB/RZs do go up to 1/400, but the question is complicated by the fact that the RB/RZ shutters are leaf shutters, not focal plane shutters.
    Not sure what gets complicated. Leaf shutters are great because it can sync up to max shutter speeds.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Not sure what gets complicated. Leaf shutters are great because it can sync up to max shutter speeds.
    He means leaf shutters don't usually go past 1/400 or 1/500th of a second, where curtain shutters can go to 1/8000 of a second, that's all he means..

However, you really don't need anything faster than 1/400 heck 1/250 is fine even for stop motion work unless its a bullet...

If you're already taking the time to set lights and meter etc, then throwing on an ND filter for a super bright scene if you want a more shallow depth of field is really not that hard.

You really only need 1/1000+ speeds when your out doing documentary work or sports photography etc when you're changing settings on the fly IMO.

I'm sure there's some rare case you need faster, but for the most part it's not needed so as long as it syncs to 1/400 you're fine. And focal plane shutters usually don't sync faster than 1/250 anyway unless you use their "high speed sync" features which I believe create a longer more extended flash that fires BEFORE the shutter moves and the burst lasts through the whole shutter movement rather than firing the flash and shutter at the same time, so you lose a lot of power with the high speed sync, and also, again, don't usually need it.

If any of that is incorrect, please correct me, but that's my understanding.

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's pretty much it.

The "high speed sync" stuff that modern Canikons deliver is based on lower power/extended duration flash that allows for flash coverage over the entire period of shutter activation.

The problem being solved here is that, unlike leaf shutters, focal plane shutters (above their rated sync speed) do not expose the entire film plane at the same instant: The "closing" shutter starts closing before the "opening" shutter is fully open. Think of it as a slit being waved over the film/sensor.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, on all accounts above.

One thing about the ND filter is that it's not a single bullet fix. When using, say, a two stop ND filter, you have to adjust your power as if you're shooting 2 stops slower film. This means more power is required.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin