Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,719   Online: 964

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=MattKing;1530612]
    Quote Originally Posted by mweintraub View Post
    Originally Posted by MattKing
    What I meant, is that the question is made more complicated because it is harder to test whether the system is functioning properly.

If a wireless transmitter fires the flash at the wrong time with a focal plane shutter, the entire frame won't be illuminated - this is easy to see in a test exposure.

Whereas if a wireless transmitter fires the flash at the wrong time with a leaf shutter, the entire frame may very well be illuminated, but the exposure may be less, because of the shutter not being at its maximum opening. That is harder to verify in a test exposure.

Couldn't you do the white wall test? Shoot a white wall at a high speed (little ambient light) and see if there is light "fall off".

There won't be light fall off. The light transmitted by the leaf shutter will be even, it is just that due to the nature of a leaf shutter, it will perform in a manner similar to a second aperture. If the shutter isn't fully open when the flash fires, the shutter may effectively stop down the lens further than the set, normal aperture.
    So what would be the solution then?

- via tapatalk.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=analoguey;1531139]
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post

So what would be the solution then?

- via tapatalk.
    Read the manual and know what the max sync speed of your camera/lens/shutter is and don't go over that.... Lol

FWIW my strobe packs yell at me when's sync is not right, not sure about on camera flashes.

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    True, they do, but the off camera flash that I haven't doesn't put put enough for me to be able to use that speed.
    And the Nikons max at 200 or thereabouts anyways.

Very interesting discussion this has spawned, though! :-)

- via tapatalk.
    Flash is not effected by shutter speed. So you can shoot at 1/125 or 1/400 and the flash result is the same. The shutter speed (with aperture and ISO) does control the ambient light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mweintraub View Post
    Flash is not effected by shutter speed. So you can shoot at 1/125 or 1/400 and the flash result is the same. The shutter speed (with aperture and ISO) does control the ambient light.
    Meant two different things there - output of my off camera flashes being not huge and the sync speed. :-)

- via tapatalk.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin