Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,235   Online: 1186

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

MF, Polaroids, & Brides

Hi guys.. first post.

Here is my story (and I'm sticking to it).

I shoot about 10 weddings a year.

I would like to accomplish two goals... one short term and one long term perhaps.

Short Term: I would like to take some 'hand held/monopod' polaroid's during a wedding (a formal, a couple, during the cermony, candids at reception, ...) so at the end of the night, the bride could leave with 10-20 B&W polaroids from her wedding day to take with her. I think it would be a classy touch with a hint of old school artisty and a clever marketing tactic. I'm thinking RB67 with Polaroid back and 90mm.

Short term Goal II: I am also thinking of doing this for my studio work and letting each client walk out the door with one or two polaroids with my logo sticker on the back. Might create a cool buzz. Might need a 180mm for this.

Short Term Goal III: I want to fire my off camera flash with a pocket wizard from the MF camera. SO, thinking RZ67 (right???)

Long Term: I almost (well, wanted to) to buy a HD4 31 this year. So, my thought was... why not just get a RZ67 Pro II and add a digital back 'when I am ready'.

So... my thought is to get a RZ67 Pro II with 90mm and 180mm to accomplish ALL goals.

Is there an option I am not considering?? Logic flawed??

Thanks!
    George
    Last edited by georgedean; 09-04-2011 at 10:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Any thoughts?

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a mamyia universal that I use for polaroids and they look better i think than the non full framed polaroid cameras the 6x7. anyway, i only use that for fun

I do weddings also and have a package that includes polaroid coverage of their whole day up til cake cutting or so, for that I use 2 instax's and about 50 pictures.
    I have pix of the images and of how I display at the wedding, message me with an email and I can show oyu.

todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    I cannot say I am a pro, but I have been assisting a photographer (although she doesn't do weddings) for some time now and she always uses her RZ 67 pro. I'm not too sure about her choice of lens, but I have seen her shoot with 110mm and 180. The picture quality is perfect, but I'm not too sure how you work a digital back or even a Polaroid back with this camera.

I guess my input to your thread would be that I personally like the quality of this camera a lot.
    You can see some of her photographs in the following link and judge for yourself:
    http://www.tinaschula.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have you considered the weight (2.5kg or so) you would be carrying during a wedding?
    A bride doesn't want more things in her hand during the busiest day of her life. Keep it to < 5 shots and use the mini format so the groom can put them in his pocket.
    Think about using a Fuji Instax camera.
    Any hot shoe can take a wireless trigger.
    You don't say anything about your current setup.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by arpinum View Post
    Have you considered the weight (2.5kg or so) you would be carrying during a wedding?
    A bride doesn't want more things in her hand during the busiest day of her life. Keep it to < 5 shots and use the mini format so the groom can put them in his pocket.
    Think about using a Fuji Instax camera.
    Any hot shoe can take a wireless trigger.
    You don't say anything about your current setup.
    My main camera is a 1Ds Mark III. (16-35, 24-70L 2.8, 100 macro 2.8, 135 2.0, 200 1.8)

If did it, I would place the polaroids in a nice box for her. I think it could make a perfect gift!

Weight isn't really an issue. I have an assistant that handles my equipment.
    Last edited by georgedean; 09-04-2011 at 08:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use my RB67's Polaroid back for proofs at times but it is better to use a camera which covers the whole piece of film. A simple Polaroid Land camera will do this for you in a compact folder, smaller than an RB67. Take a pack or two worth for fun!
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Instant Films
    As a Polaroid pack film back on an RB67 won't give full film sheet coverage I think you will find it looks crappy for wedding shots. Also the long term issue will be availability of B&W pack film. Sure there still seems to be plenty of old Polaroid stock out there along with Fuji FP100-B (supposedly discontinued) and FP3000-B (does your camera handle ISO3000?)

Shooter
    Multi Format

I might be sort of a hassle with a RB

I have a couple RB67's and a Polaroid back I have never used, but hope to someday. I hope I get to use it before the film companies stop making it like was pointed out with the 100 B/W. Anyway, to shoot with a Polaroid back, you have to take off the whole back. Not a big deal, but it will require two dark slides (one for each back) and the careful removal of the back and storage. Again, I think what others have said about just getting a cheap Polaroid and shooting with that is a better idea. Also, the pictures will be a little wet and if they are put in the grooms pocket, they might end up sticking to it, or to the other pictures. The peel aparts are not like the SX-70 films. Also, you will have some garbage to deal with as you peel the film off the negative. The only way to do it right is to probably have a back up RB just for that and not changing backs. (Maybe that is what you were refering to.) Another thing you might encounter is that the bride will show one to her mother, who will then pass it to her sister, who will pass it to uncle Joe etc. Maybe a hour later 'all' the Polaroids will be found and you can then hand those scratched, bent pictures to the bride. You took ten pictures and 7 of them came back. I once took a few pictures with a SX-70 camera of a guy being pulled behind a boat on a kite. I showed them to the father and told him to show them to his wife and family on the beach. The guy said 'look what this nice man gave us'. I didn't have the heart to tell them that is not what I meant. Needless to say, I never did that again.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    .. you've almost described what I'm planning on doing next weekend ..

Although I'm not a pro, a very good friend (my usual photobuddy for day trips) is getting married on Saturday. The bride's uncle is a pro and will be taking shots of the day.. but as I'm the only eedji-it shooting film that he knows he's asked if I would bring the RB67 Pro S. Which is, incidentally, equally suitable for your plans as the RZ67 - although I haven't yet tried remote triggering flashes it should be possible via the PC socket on the lens and an adapter.

I wasn't planning on presenting the Polaroid (Fuji FP-100C) test shots to the bride due to the frame coverage issues (see here), but I will show them to the couple and they will be welcome to keep them.

I'm not sure if everyone that's replied is familiar with an RB67?

Switching backs between 120 film and Polaroid is quick, quicker than the FP-100C will self-develop. One latch drops off the Polaroid back complete with P-adapter and you can drop the 120 back (complete with rotating back adapter already attached) straight back on again.

You should have a darkslide for every back anyway. It's pretty much compulsory.

My planned load-out for the day.. RB67 Pro S, 90mm C, 180mm C, 2x 120 backs, 1x Polaroid back.. Kodak Portra 160 and 400, Fuji FP100-C and FP-3000B, tripod.

The biggest issue with the Polaroid back and the RB67 is the lack of interlocks.. it's easy to get reliant on the camera not firing of things aren't right. My current fix is 6" of bright red ribbon as a "remove before flight" tag on the handle of the Polaroid darkslide. Incidentally, the Polaroid back uses a unique darkslide that's not compatible with any of the other RB67 backs.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin