Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,881   Online: 1018

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Bessa III/Fuji GH667 - durability of black finish vs. silver finish?

The Voigtlanber Bessa III and Fuji GH667 MF 6x7 rangefinder cameras, with either 80 or 55mm lenses, are made in the same Cosina factory in Japan and branded as Fuji (with a silver finish) or Voigtlander (with a black finish). Other than cosmetics, both versions at each focal length are identical.

As there is no distributor in Canada, I would have to order either from the US or from the UK, and hence both finishes would be availble to me.

I am very tempted by the wide version with a 55mm lens, and I am not sure which finish is preferable and which is more durable.

Silver is very classic looking, but black would be more unobtrusive for street shooting (but this is not my prime activity).

Does anyone have any opinions about the two choices of finish regarding quality or durability?

Thanks!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Henry,

In the USA the Black Bessa III is $2250
    At B&H Photo the silver Fuji is $1664.

I can't think of a better reason to go silver.

It looks like Camera Quest has the III wide for $2999.
    I don't see it at B&H, but I am rushed to leave so I may have missed it.

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    According to the UK distributor:

"The Voigtlander Black body is powder coat and the Fuji Silver body is silver paint".

Powder coat is a more durable finish than paint.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have the Fuji GF670/ silver and it's an excellent camera..extremely quiet shutter. The 80 on 6x6 is plenty wide for me..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    They make it with a 55mm?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the replies.

There are pics of the 55mm version in the link below:

http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtl_bessa_iii_wide.htm

:-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not specific to the Bessa but IMO chrome has been more durable in the past. An anodized finish is pretty easy to scratch no matter what it's on.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I agree that chrome is more durable - unfortunately the current silver Fuji version of the Bessa III is apparently painted silver. The black version is apparently powder coated.

If the silver version of the Fuji were chrome, and hence finished like a Leica, I would choose it without hesitation. I think that powder coating is preferable to paint, and thus the black Voigtlander has the more durable finish.

I remember a several years back that Leica was planning to develop a 6x7 MF camera, but that this idea was shelved as uneconomical. Too bad - imagine a 6x7 Leica rangefinder!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin