Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,508   Online: 977

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Light leakge with a Fuji GA645Zi

I just ran a test roll of film through my recently acquired GA645Zi. When the negatives came back from the lab they showed significant light leakage. The lab suggested that during loading I might not have wound the film up tightly enough. They also suggested that when I unloaded the film I may not have wound it tightly enough either. The very first frame did not have any light leakage, but all subsequent ones did. As one can see from the sample image below one can even see some darker circles which almost look like sprocket holes. However, to the best of my knowledge MF film doesn't have sprocket holes.

Other than what the lab suggests could there be other causes for the light leakage?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 89530010.jpg  
    Graham from St. Augustine, FL

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've had a similar thing happen, and it was with the roll wound very loosely - I blame the GA645zi, but it could easily have been me, when I removed the roll from the camera.... I guess one has to be careful to hold the roll firmly whilst removing it, and before sealing it up.

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks Marc. I ran another roll through it this afternoon. I removed the film in subdued light and held it very tight. I am thinking that perhaps the auto wind feature doesn't put enough "tension" on the film when it winds it to the end. As a consequence that might cause the film to be somewhat loose. Someone on another forum reported a similar situation on a different Fuji camera. They also concluded that they hadn't wound the film tightly enough.

p.s I like your reverse image location. Very clever adaptation of a reverse image finder.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Very odd. Those circles look like the printing on the film backing. I can't imagine how light could get through the backing paper, though. My experience with my 645zi has been excellent and I've never seen a problem like this. Usually, when it isn't wound tightly, there is fogging on the edges. This would have to be really, really loose to cause this.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I believe you are correct that these are from the backing. The lab thinks that they got there from light leaking in after the film was removed. I'm hoping that this was due to user error. I ran a second roll through today, and was extra careful in removing the roll. I should see the results early next week.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From memory, you do have to be a bit careful when loading the film. Press your fingers lightly on the paper backing as you first wind it on to the take up spool. You want to have a little bit of tension so it winds tightly from the beginning. I used to do that and never had any sort of light leak or loose rolls.
    You should see clearly if you have a loose roll when you remove it. The sort of thing you see with Holga & Diana. Even then it should mostly affect the edges, I don't see how it could fog right across the film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The instructions do say to hold down the backing as it comes out of the spool. It did seem tighter when I removed it after finishing all the shots. Now all I can do is wait and see the results of the 2nd roll.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As others have said, the Fuji RF cameras, in particular the Zi, are finicky with film spools... Note that Fuji film works better than Kodak in these 645 cameras....on purpose??

The Zi was my favorite camera for a long time.... My Fuji RF page is here http://antiquecameras.net/fuji645cameras.html

also see

Dan
    Antique and Classic Camera BLOG
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks Dan for the info. Your link was very helpful.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin