Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,667   Online: 801

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Stability - RB67 Pro-S stability

Hi all,

I was thinking to post my question in the "Miscellaneous" Forum, but since this is specifically for my RB67 Pro-S and therefore an 'Accessory', it would be appropriate for here?

I also did a search, but it didn't turn up recent results that specifically fit my question.

So, i *need* a better/stable tripod. I have an old Velbon video tripod made from alum., but the legs are utterly wimpy whilst the head/body is very heavy-duty metal (unknown materal).

Max. budget is ~$300. I'd prefer a non-ballhead (seem a little unstable in the unlocked position).

I almost always shoot outdoors (sometimes miles from the nearest road) and tend to really *use* my gear. Also, i'm known to shoot in all temps/weather from -40C/F to 35C/95 -snow/rain/sunshine.

I'm pretty sure carbon-fiber will be the best bet, but which one?

Here are links to 2 'pods i'm currently interested in:

http://www.cameta.com/Hakuba-70-HG-5...Case-56793.cfm

and this one:

http://www.adorama.com/DOCX730B105.h...m_source=gbase

I know this last one has a ball-head, but is carbon-fiber.....

Please help!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Frankly, I'm not sure about either of these CF tripods, especially the one sold by Cameta that doesn't have a weight capacity spec. I use my RB67 ProS on a plain vanilla Manfrotto O55--a good balance of weight, rigidity, and cost. This would leave you with about half your remaining budget for a head. I sometimes use a Manfrotto CarbonOne 440. It's great with a Mamiya 645 or Bronica SQ-B but is barely able to hold the RB safely.

For me, Manfrotto wins for value and durability. If any part breaks, replacements are easily available. They're modular, so most Manfrotto heads fit most of their tripods--something that makes upgrades of heads and legs easy.

I've looked over some of the inexpensive no-name CF tripods and haven't been especially impressed. A set of Manfrotto CF 055 legs alone will eat your budget.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have one of the Feisol CF Tripods that Kerry Thalman sells (http://reallybigcameras.com/Feisol/Tripods) and with a max weight of just under 20 lbs it can handle more than enough to be stable for my RB.

It may not be one of the big names, but i can tell you that with what I put my tripod through I'd recommend it to anyone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have two Manfrotto Tripods, one ball-head and one pan-tilt depending on what I'm doing. Only tripods I use... they're old however so you won't be able to buy those model numbers unfortunately but surely they make something similar today.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use the 055XPROB legs with a 496RC2 ball head with my RZ67. This setup was roughly $300CDN if I'm remembering right. No stability problems at all and it's not too heavy to easily carry around either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the responses thus far!

I've decided against the 2 'pods i linked to.... Like in mountaineering equipment - i simply can't afford "cheap" gear (you always have to buy it twice).

So.....i really like the 'looks' of these 2
    Feisol CT-3301 /center column and the awesome (accessory) steel spikes you can add - and it's a bit less $ than the Manfrotto i'm looking at:
    Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 - i *love* how the center column allows for horizontal orientation and has a *much lower* minimum height (though the optional spike-feet don't compare to the Feisol's)

Questions to Travis Nunn (or any other Feisol users) -
    Does the Feisol come with a LEVEL???
    This is important to me b/c i like knowing my camera is level and it's nice having one integrated onto the 'pod

Questions to CGW/hpulley/minimal (other Manfrotto users) -
    What kind of spike-feet are available for these 'pods?
    This is important to me b/c i frequently use my gear in snow/on ice and want something that really bites deep and secure.

So far, kudos for:
    Feisol CT-3301:
    1) awesome (optional) spike-feet (super important!!!!)
    2) slightly lighter wgt
    3) better price
    4) greater load capacity (not sure how important this is....)

Manfrotto 055CXPRO3:
    1) awesome horizontal ability (HUGE benefit!!!!!!!!!!! - i just don't know exactly how i'd implement this........)
    2) far greater lower minimum height (pretty important, but not sure exactly *how* important)

OK, so that's what i'm seeing for now....

Thanks and keep it coming!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like a level in my tripod too, but it isn't a requirement for me. The bubbles in the tripod head are much more valuable. What use is the tripod being level if you don't have the three angle tilt head level?

Just a thought.

Mike

i bought this tripod for my hasselblad
    http://www.thewsreviews.com/2010/12/...port-3032.html
    http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=det...prache=english

better than my old manfrotto and gitzo tripod

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have two models of the Manfrotto 055, one old metal one and a newer carbon model, I believe it's the 055CXPRO3. Both are equipped with the 410 Junior Head from manfrotto, and that's the best tripod head I've ever used.

So this is more a recommendation of the micro-geared head than the tripod, but I don't know if it is within your budget.
    Regards

Birger A.

------------------

Idealism is easy on a full stomach

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Questions to CGW/hpulley/minimal (other Manfrotto users) -
    What kind of spike-feet are available for these 'pods?
    This is important to me b/c i frequently use my gear in snow/on ice and want something that really bites deep and secure.

Manfrotto makes spiked feet that replace the originals--they're also retractable, so no damage to delicate surfaces. Spikes don't help much in snow but Manfrotto does make "snowshoes" for its tripods--flat rubber discs that fit over the feet.These are really only useful in certain types of snow. If the snow's that deep, I'm not going far anyway.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin