Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,174   Online: 716

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Rollei versus RZ67?

I have been reading as much as I can about medium format and weddings....

There is one photographer I simply love... abyranphoto.com

He uses both the "2.8 F PLANAR (BAYONET III) TWIN LENS REFLEX" and the RZ67....

Do you know WHY one would take both to a wedding and when would you use one over another??

Perhaps the Rollei is more "walk around friendly" or its the Carl Zeiss lens he used?

Your insight is valuable.

George

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    With the RZ you can have different lenses to switch between and you also have the option of having extra loaded film magazines with you. Downside may be that it is much heavier than a Rollei TLR. It all depends on what cameras you like and what sort of way you work when doing photography.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not ask himself, I can't answer this question for somebody else!

Cheer Armin
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnArs View Post
    Why not ask himself, I can't answer this question for somebody else!

Cheer Armin
    Actually, did John... no response yet.

if you notice, I did not ask why HE takes them to a wedding, I asked why "one" would use one over the other.

George

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rollei is a great camera, but for wedding I would toward the RZ67.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    FWIW... he answered...

"Both serve different purposes. The Rollei is great because its compact, simple, but has impeccable optics. The Mamiya is a tank but is perfect for detail shots, shooting groups (w/ 65mm, equivalent to a 32mm) and for Polaroids. I don't always bring the Mamiya with me on shoots, but it does come with me on to weddings."
    Last edited by georgedean; 09-08-2011 at 04:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Aside from their practical differences, I think it's just good policy to have a backup camera at a wedding.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have taken both a Rolleiflex and Pentax 67 a few times. The reason is I like the Rollei better and I like the square format but the Pentax has changeable lenses, wide angle for a group or tele for some portraits. The truth is that neither is a great camera for most of the wedding photos. You are much better off with an auto focus auto exposure 35mm for the ceremony and all the candids.
    When it comes to delivering your work to the couple and you have shot film, you usually will give them some small machine prints. The ironic thing is that from a 35mm neg you can get a 4x6 machine print where from a 67 MF neg you will get a 4x5 print and from the Rollei you will get a 4x4 print. So the couple looking at the work will see the bigger camera as making smaller pictures than the 35mm camera. And at that size the larger neg doesn't do you any good over a good quality 35mm camera lens.
    My working method when doing film weddings is to shoot set up portraits with the MF and then get them printed on 5 inch paper so the prints are larger than the machine prints from the 35mm. Then I will shoot the ceremony and the reception with the 35mm.
    Dennis

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waltereegho View Post
    Aside from their practical differences, I think it's just good policy to have a backup camera at a wedding.
    Bingo.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    I have taken both a Rolleiflex and Pentax 67 a few times. The reason is I like the Rollei better and I like the square format but the Pentax has changeable lenses, wide angle for a group or tele for some portraits. The truth is that neither is a great camera for most of the wedding photos. You are much better off with an auto focus auto exposure 35mm for the ceremony and all the candids.
    When it comes to delivering your work to the couple and you have shot film, you usually will give them some small machine prints. The ironic thing is that from a 35mm neg you can get a 4x6 machine print where from a 67 MF neg you will get a 4x5 print and from the Rollei you will get a 4x4 print. So the couple looking at the work will see the bigger camera as making smaller pictures than the 35mm camera. And at that size the larger neg doesn't do you any good over a good quality 35mm camera lens.
    My working method when doing film weddings is to shoot set up portraits with the MF and then get them printed on 5 inch paper so the prints are larger than the machine prints from the 35mm. Then I will shoot the ceremony and the reception with the 35mm.
    Dennis
    Dennis...I like your thinking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin