Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,510   Online: 1024

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mamiya 7 or 7II

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Mamiya 7 or 7II (or 6)

I've been watching Mamiya 7 & 7II cameras on eBay.

Could someone tell me what the difference between the 7 & 7II is?

Is it worth it to get the 7II instead of the 7?

Thanks!!

Jim
    Last edited by JMoore; 10-17-2004 at 01:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The M7II allows for multiple exposures, has a brighter viewfinder, has three lug strap holders thingies, has a better ratchet system for the darkslide, and probably something else that I am forgetting. And the black II is all black.

Either one is a great camera with amazing lenses. The built in meter on my M7II is simply terrific.

Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JMoore
    I've been watching Mamiya 7 & 7II cameras on eBay.

Could someone tell me what the difference between the 7 & 7II is?

Is it worth it to get the 7II instead of the 7?

Thanks!!

Jim
    Jim,

I don't known the 7, but one of the differences is the multiple exposure possibility I guess.
    For the body I would go for a new one, a 7II, because I've the impression/perception that an intensif use of the the camera and a long life will not go together comparing f.e. with Nikons or Hassies.
    To be clear: I've bought a new one two month's ago and I'm very happy about. The ideal camera for having all the time a MF with you at the weight of a 35mm.

They told me that prices outside US are very different!?
    See for example UK prices.

Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got my set up three years ago through Tin Chueng in Hong Kong. I have a friend that lives there, and he wnet and checked the camera out first, then purchsed it and sent on to me. When the USA retail prices were over $9000 for my set up, I got it all with the express DHL shipping for $3700. It had the added bonus of having a UK warrenty. Instead of shipping it back to Hong Kong if it broke, I could send ity to England. I preferred the Champagne body, (that is just me).
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I bought the plain 7 with a 65mm lens used. The only feature of the 7II that I wish I had is the double exposure. This is mainly for when I forget to take the lenscap off and I realize it before advancing the film. Other than that I think the 7 is a very good camera. I could not ask for a better meter. Mine seems very durable, it came with quite a few scratches on the body but everything works fine. So I would just look for a good price on either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check robertwhite.co.uk for some of the best new prices on the Mamiya.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a used Mamiya 7 with the 80mm lens, and am very happy with it. I think either one is a great camera. I'd have to agree with L Gebhart, and find the best price for each. Your resulting photos will be beautiful with either camera!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would highly recommend checking ebay.

I bought my M7II with 65mm lens for $1300. And I just bought a 50mm lens with finder/box/manual for $825 including shipping. This is much cheaper than KEH or MPEX.

Just know what you are buying and ask these questions:
    - how much to buy right now?
    - will you include shipping in the final price?

This works for me a lot.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    As always great advice. Thanks everyone.

I have just been offered a trade deal that I am thinking about for a Mamiya 6 with a 80mm and a 150mm lens.

Is there that much difference between the 6 & 7?

Thanks again!

Jim
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The main difference is the 6 is a square and the 7 is a half hearted rectangle.

This is followed by...
    The 6 has the convenience of a collapsing lens mount. This makes the camera thinner than a Pro 35mm.

The 6 has 3 lenses that have been tested to be as sharp as anything out there (50mm, 75mm and 150mm).

The 7 has a better meter, larger lens selection (43mm, 65mm, 80mm, 150mm and 210mm), minor design improvements in the curtin set/release, pc socket and the ability to do multiple exposures (7II).

The 6 has one major draw back. The film advance gears have a tendency to break and are nolonger fixable by Mamiya.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin