Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,051   Posts: 1,561,163   Online: 821

Thread: Ilford SFX200

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ilford SFX200

Going to give some SFX 200 a first go today. I have a very Deep and Cheap IR filter. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044R6WQG

Hope to see how this pair works on the Hassy with the 120 CF Makro lens, it just happens to be next on the rotation for exercising and I like the lens.

Anyone had any good success with this film, I've hear others say it is just FP4 with more red sensitivity. I'm just looking for some IR fun. Shamed to admit it but I have never worked with IR before. So my excitement level is up.

What I hope to do is find enough fun to use it while at Ricketts Glen in the mid day when the sun is full in the sky and its hard to get those milky waterfall shots as in early morning or late in the day. So the IR might be my mid day film. Like I said, I'm excited, hope I do not get too many dark red lens cap type negs.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    SFX 200 is more or less Ilford TSF (Traffic Surveillance Film). 730-740nm.

For a strong IR effect use Efke IR820 or Rollei IR400, both sensitive till 820nm. The best was Kodak HIE (>900nm) but it's already out of production for several years.
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a bit grainy, but it can do really nice things for landscapes. I just posted two images in the gallery last night with my Bronica GS-1 and Cokin 007 filter. I do like the quality when used appropriately.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tony,
    I really liked your Mission Mountains photos. I just ran the first roll in Diafine, maybe not the best developer for this film, but I have it and love it for most all films. Can hardly wait till it dries. I,ll check back in later with some results and then adjust and shoot my other roll.
    Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use quite a bit of SFX200 behind a cheap IR720 filter on the front of my Mamiya RB 67 lenses. The results are quite nice but the infrared effect is rather mild. Effective speed with the IR720 filter is EI = 6 for sunny day landscapes and about half that on overcast days or in the shade. Images have visible grain at 8x10 or larger and I think that reflects the origin of the film which is supposed to be Ilford HP5+ loaded up with IR sensitising dye.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here are scans of my first attempt. These are with the IR720 filter and scanned with my cheapO HP G4050. They do not seem to have a lot of IR Look although I can see a little.

Any suggestions to help improve this? I know it was an overcast day, not a one of these images were done in sunny 16 conditions. Best exposures with this filter were 3.5 to 4 stops down from metered exposures.

The first one of the pond seems to be the best of all, but all are lacking a Good IR experience.

Lee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IF Iflord SFX200_1-2.jpg   IF Iflord SFX200_7Small.jpg   IF Iflord SFX200_16-2.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Lee, I like the IR effect you got in your first 2 shots, not too much IR but still just a hint of it. I would like to see the results taken on a bright sunny day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
    Tony,
    I really liked your Mission Mountains photos.
    Thanks much. It's a bit expensive but under the right circumstances it can do very well.

Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
    Here are scans of my first attempt. These are with the IR720 filter and scanned with my cheapO HP G4050. They do not seem to have a lot of IR Look although I can see a little.
    I think your filter is cutting off light below 720 nm and SFX is sensitive up to 740 nm. Maybe that's the problem?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Brady (TEX) View Post
    Lee, I like the IR effect you got in your first 2 shots, not too much IR but still just a hint of it. I would like to see the results taken on a bright sunny day.
    Thanks Tex.
    I too look for a sunny day to try again. I have one more roll here at the house. Looks like I can count on my hand held meter for box speed minus 3.5 to 4 stops for the filter. Just add sun.

Lee

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Do bear in mind that the infrared look is maximized when plants are full of chlorophyl - better in spring and early summer, better with deciduous plants than conifers, whose needles don't have as much chlorophyl and are denser, reflecting less light. The Ilford SFX has never had that strong an IR effect. I think for best results, you should try to find one of the Ilford SFX filters (I don't know if they still make them or not - it would be a good question for Simon Galley here).

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin