Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,941   Online: 1078

Thread: SL66 E-Ring

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

SL66 E-Ring

I have a couple of Rolleiflex SL66 lenses which I use on my SL66. I have just acquired an SL66 SE body and would like to use my current lenses on the new body with full metering.

Hence, my question. Anyone knows anybody who might still have the E-Rings for the older lenses for sale?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    They appear on eBay very occasionally. You need to search in all countries because the majority of odds and ends are in Germany.

There are different rings for different lenses because of the differing lengths of the barrel. Harry Fleenor in California still has them but they are expensive. I bought one from him to complete my set.

For the shortest barrel lenses (80mm and 50mm) you can improvise by sticking a small piece of material (rubber, plastic, metal) to the part of the lens that rotates with the aperture ring. It has to be in the right spot. The piece of material is placed so that when the lens is mounted and is set on full aperture it moves the prong on the camera just a bit. Once it moves a little the meter can be activated. Closing the aperture moves the prong further. The prong on the camera is spring loaded so that it will follow the little block on the lens as the aperture is opened.

I will do some measurements and take some pictures, but I'm in a hurry now but tomorrow i'll post more details.
    Last edited by john_s; 09-11-2011 at 05:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks John for the heads up

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I assume that you have the 80mm/f2.8. Which other lens(es) do you have?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have 80mm and 50mm. I have already received quotes from Harry Fleenor and said he still have a few, albeit expensive.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The 80mm and 50mm are the easier ones to improvise. I'll post photos tomorrow.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The E-ring has a screw attached to it so that it turns the meter prong as the aperture ring is turned. This screw is not visible with the lens mounted because it is hidden by the shroud of the ring, which also protects the meter prong. The meter will not operate until the E-ring has moved the meter prong about 2.4mm clockwise (looking at the lens mount). If the lens is mounted with its aperture ring in full open position, the E-ring moves the prong about 2.4mm. As the aperture ring is closed, the E-ring pushes the prong further. So all that is needed is something attached to the aperture ring that will push the prong. It must of course be in the right position.

In the case of the 50mm and 80mm lenses, the aperture ring is close enough to the body that a little block could be glued onto the part that is very close to the body, and hence be able to move the prong. I have attached a photo showing a body without lens and a label showing where the prong has to be moved to when a lens is mounted while set at full (widest) aperture. It moves the prong about 2.4mm, and then further at smaller apertures.

This method of avoiding purchasing an E-ring only works with the short lenses. The longer lenses have a non-rotating part near the body as their aperture rings are further from the body. Consequently their E-rings are deeper, culminating in the E-ring for the 250mm Sonnar that's about 45mm deep.

I hope this makes sense. I would use a little block of aluminium or something hard and easy to cut to size, and glue it with a tiny amount of araldite or E-6000. I was going to do that but I managed to get several E-rings. I already had a lens with an E-ring fitted, so that made it easier to fit them to the other lenses.

Please let me know if you'd like any further info.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_1339.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks so much for the information, really appreciate it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Let us know how it goes. The SL66SE is a gorgeous camera.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin