Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,051   Posts: 1,561,167   Online: 837

Shooter
    Multi Format

I have an Iskra on the way

I have been looking for one of these for a while as it's based on the Agfa I have enjoyed using over the last few months.

Being a Russian camera I am expecting a few quirks, but is there anything I should be aware of in general use to avoid breaking it. I read a thread on the RFF about someone that changed the flash sync without winding it on first and this jammed the shutter. Also I guess you have to adjust the shutter speed before winding?

It already has the red window mod, so no worries there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Winding and shutter cocking are separate, but I have changed the shutter speed on mine after having cocked the shutter, with no ill effects.

I've not had reason to change the flash sync yet, as I've never used flash with it (in the 7 years I've had it).

Other than not being ham-fisted with the winding (which won't apply to you), I've found it to be one of the more quirk-free folders.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have repaired enough Iskras to know better than to buy one "remotely". Plenty of issues with those, nasty repairmen not doing a good job, and the camera itself is made out of materials with far lower quality than those from the Super Isolette. The Iskra goes for about 1/4 of the price that a good Super Isolette commands, and there are a few good reasons for it.

I cannot see how changing the flash sync setting may affect the winding (an independent, not linked system) or even the shutter once cocked, it is just a lever that moves and contacts (unless there are other underlying issues, something I wouldn't be surprised of)

That aside, it is not a bad camera when in working condition. The FXCh-18 shutter is a clone of the Synchro-Compur MXV, and the Industar 58 is a 4-element design.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsmith99 View Post
    It already has the red window mod, so no worries there.
    Usually, the red window means the autowinding mechanism is not working properly, not a problem if you can see the window when winding.

Enjoy your Iskra. I liked my first one so much that I bought two more for spare parts.

Regards.
    Kodachrome Rules:)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the replies. Hopefully it will be in good order.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin