Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,988   Posts: 1,524,048   Online: 965

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey, go for it! I have a lot of fun with mine.

DaveT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are torn between 6x7 and 6x6, you could consider an RB67 plus a 6x6 TLR for those times when small size matters.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i have a ful sqa kit for sale if your still after one

Shooter
    35mm
    I have an SQ-A setup and I like it. I picked it up here for short money and fleshed it out with purchases from KEH. I wanted to casually get into 6x6 and the SQ-A is versatile enough yet not too expensive. Works well for me. And the J back will let you do 6x4.5 if you later decide you want to.

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you like square then get the Bronica. If you plan on cropping all your photos to a rectangle then you would probably be better off with the RB. Just remember that 6x7 cameras are big and heavy.

If you decide on the RB then you might also want to look at the RZ. The 110mm lens for the RZ is killer!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love my SQ-A and the only other 6x6 SLR I own is the much older Bronica C. It's great if you want to go old school, but the SQ series is all around a better camera.
    If you want to look into 6x7 there are more options. I had three 6x7 SLRs at one point, the Bronica GS1, the Pentax 67 and the Mamiya RB Pro SD. I ended up selling the RB because it didn't get enough use. I use the Pentax for landscape and the GS1 for handheld. The RB is a very capable camera in all regards but the design, size and weight make it most suited to studio work, which I don't do much.

Of course if you are willing to go with a rangefinder and can't decide which format you like best the Fuji GF670 is the bomb!! It's rather expensive but I absolutely love mine.
    If you want a small, portable 6x6 rangefinder with exchangeable lenses I would strongly recommend the Mamiya 6. It has lots and lots of strengths, and very few drawbacks. Once again, not cheap, but you definitely get what you pay for.
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I were getting the Bronica SQa/ai/am I would definitely choose the SQAi. The 'i" in "Ai" stands for "improved" in that it is the latest model of the "SQ" line. It has mirror lockup for mirror up shake free time exposures. That would come in handy for any time you want to take a landscape photo with your lens stopped way down for that "forever" depth of field.

As far as the SQAm is concerned, if your camera battery were to go low, you won't be able to continue by manualy advancing your film because there is no hand crank to further advance film and cock the shutter.

All cameras have their pros and cons.

Talking about the Pentax line, lack of changing film backs is a con...
    You say you're not interested in changing filmbacks now, but there will come a time when you'll wish you could change from B&W to color in mid roll.
    Perhaps to take the same shot in both mediums.

So weigh pros and cons of each of your contenders. When you do that, the "pro's" have it.
    Enjoy

ps: I have just bought into Bronica ETRsi recently (still building my kit).
    Sometimes I'm Brilliant but most times I'm Just Myself!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I may be wrong, but:

- SQ-A has MLU (it's old SQ that hasn't)
    - when battery runs out you may still shoot SQ-A at 1/500s, but you can't fire SQ-Ai (not a real problem, batteries are cheap)

SQ-Ai body has a couple of improvements over SQ-A:

- 'Bulk' time;
    - TTL flash metering

SQ-Ai accessories, which you can use also with SQ-A body, were also improved:

- ISO dial on a film holder was moved to a better position, you can set correction with a prism view finder mounted; ISO setting was extended to 6400
    - new AE-i view finder is much more sophisticated, allow exposition compensation, spot metering, exposition hold - perhaps the best thing of SQ-Ai line, that's usually reflected in its price
    - detachable motorised winder (doesn't fit to SQ-A); in case of SQ-A you can only choose motorised body

Don't buy any Bronica without WLF, unless you have one - this simple thing sells more expensive than the body itself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin