Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,879   Online: 1036

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

should i get as bronica sqa?

hi all,

im looking to move up in my photography and have got my eye set on a medium format slr system. i definitely want to shoot 6x6 not 6x6.45 so im thinking maybe a bronica sqa/sqai/sqam as mamiya and hasselblad cost quite a lot more. does anyone have any suggestions as to other cameras and also where i may be able to pick one up for a decent price?

thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is a great camera, but you might check out the Mamiya RB67. It is a little big and heavy but has big negatives and takes great pictures.

Jeff

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    There is a reason, or several reasons, Hassys and Mamiyas cost more.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    the mamiya rb67 is 6x7 isnt it? i could do that i guess, im ont bothered about weight

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wilfbiffherb View Post
    hi all,

im looking to move up in my photography and have got my eye set on a medium format slr system. i definitely want to shoot 6x6 not 6x6.45 so im thinking maybe a bronica sqa/sqai/sqam as mamiya and hasselblad cost quite a lot more. does anyone have any suggestions as to other cameras and also where i may be able to pick one up for a decent price?

thanks
    You're probably better off trying to find an Bronica SQ-A/Ai/B kit(body+viewfinder+120 back) rather than put together separate parts. Things like WLFs and 120 backs for the SQ series have really jumped in price, so while bodies and lenses(e.g., the 80/2.8 and 150/3.5 or 4)are reasonably priced, you may actually spend less for a kit. I shopped for a long time before I recently found a NOS 120 back at a good price. I'd avoid the SQ-Am--blow the motor drive and the whole camera's dead. Overall, Bronica SQs, because they're really the only 6x6 SLR outside Hasselblad, have actually gone up in price since I bought into the system in early '09.

For the money, though, you might also look into the Mamiya RB67, preferably the later ProS or ProSD bodies. Hands down, the biggest negative for the $ on offer right now.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks for that advice. ive been looking at kits to be honest as opposed to buying seperately. ive had a look at a few mamiya rb67's in the past 20 minutes or so and they look good. im still more drawn to the bronica thought for some reason haha!! its looking like £250-£350 for a bronica sqa kit (80mm lens, back, body and prism/wlv) wherever im looking at the mo which is reasonable enough i guess.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you like square and want an SLR type camera, then yes you should find a kit for sale and enjoy yourself.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thats the plan, if my guitar sells for enough this weekend on ebay!! currently torn between rb67 and sqa now though. i hate decisions!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wilfbiffherb View Post
    thats the plan, if my guitar sells for enough this weekend on ebay!! currently torn between rb67 and sqa now though. i hate decisions!
    I have both--a guilty pleasure--and tend to shoot the RB67 more despite it not being exactly petite. If you need/want close-up capability, the bellows focusing on the RB67 is killer. The rotating back(the "RB" part)is another of its unique features.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    argh, the temptation!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin