Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,322   Posts: 1,536,878   Online: 1107

Shooter
    Multi Format

New (to me) Mamiya RB67!

Ello all,

I'm a fresh transplant to film, and my first major purchase for a film camera is an RB67 from a friend from photography school. I have been using a Canon AE-1 and Mamiya 7 that are my girlfriend's and love the cameras (especially the 7!), but it was time to get my own.

I am really digging this camera. The viewfinder is friggin huge and beautiful, the negs are the same, and my 90mm and 180mm are turning out some beautiful portraits and landscape shots. The thing I love the most however is really the process this camera requires to shoot. It was frustrating at first coming from digital auto (ignoramus-proof), but the learning process is turning from frustration to fun. Additionally, a co-worker from my camera shop gave me 4 old 35mm rangefinder cameras ranging from a Yashica Electro 35 CC to an Olympus 35 RC (Not Working). I am really enjoying this influx of cameras, and I am diving into tearing apart some of the cameras to further understand the inner workings as well as reassembling. (Wanting to get started on repairing my own equipment)

I have come to realize that I really love the analogue method in everything. Photography, writing, socializing, reading, everything! I plan on spending a considerable amount of time here soon diving into photographic history and method and really applying myself to learning the craft all over again. Can't wait to finish out our darkroom in the apartment and dive into that as well!

So this turned into more of an introduction than a post about the camera itself, so let me try to rectify that.

I am having some issues with my RB67 backs, one has a stuck counter that I will be attempting to fix myself and the other seems to get stuck periodically after finishing the roll. Has anyone else encountered this second problem and possibly have a remedy?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The best remedy is to CLA the backs. If you are handy and it seems you are, get the reapir manual and it;'ll show you the adjustments n from there you can learn to see how it works n how to repair.

Backs are fairlyu easy to get into. 2 screws, one at each corner, 2 screws inside one each by the spools. Lever has to come off. Peel the leatherete and unscrew the large brass screw. Pry the lever up without lifting the spring loaded mounting plate it sits on. Put the screw back in and now lift the top cap off being careful not to destroy the metal slip over the hole on the right. Put the lever back on.

Now you are in and can load a roll of film. Install the insert back in th eshell n advance the test roll of backing paper as you watch the mechanisms do their thing. If you are observant, you'll be able to spot the trouble soon enough as you discover how the thing works.

Congratulations you are now a camera junkie!

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you can't fix the backs you can order them used through KEH. BTW welcome to APUG!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What Jeff said on both counts.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great system, I love mine.

If you're getting new backs you can get the Pro SD backs which don't use foam. Many old Pro S or Pro backs have dead foam which causes light leaks. You can buy foam kits to re-foam them however.

You can get dirt cheap new in box lenses from KEH too. 90 and 180 are great lenses, I like the 65mm wide angle too. I've been thinking about a 360 but its huge!
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format

Repairing cameras and dead foam.

As for tearing apart a 35mm I would not suggest you do that. I took a course at what used to be a school in Colorado called National Camera Repair School and did a little repair work later. The main problem you will have is you might not find all the springs and ball bearings that fall out of the things, and that you will throw off the timing of the shutter. With out some form of testing device, you won't have a working camera that is accurate. As for replacing the foam in the RB67, I and some others use felt instead of foam. I buy little sheets from Wal-Mart and cut them up and glue them in. You cut them about 1/16in. (or 1-2mm) thick. Felt doesn't become a gooey mess like foam does. Not everybody recommends it, but it is a cheap option. For the mirror, I would suggest staying with foam. If you are an older guy like me, that big viewfinder is a joy to behold. As the eyes go south, looking into a little window of a 35mm is not like that big TV screen that sits on top of a RB. (Even if it is backwards.) Ric.
    P.S. If you are serious about camera repair, there is a course by a company called something like CC Camera Repair Course. It is on the internet if you do a search for it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin