Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,897   Posts: 1,584,334   Online: 839

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Fuji/Voigtlander has a much better lens than the older folders. Plus the camera will be aligned properly, which cannot be said of all the other ones—which are 50 plus years old. The meter is also excellent. It is a VERY nice camera!

Richard Wasserman

http://www.richardwasserman.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll bet you are right, Richard. Only problem from my perspective (now that I'm getting a case of "GAS" too) is the price. Not cheap but seems like a nice piece of equipment for the money!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Suzanne - keep in touch with Whitey as he may just come across something you might want/need. I am buying a nice Rolleicord from him.
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Nice old folder

The Mamiya six folder not the modern one, has a very sharp lens though not as sharp as modern folders. The Agfa Super Isolette with a Solinar lens is another option. A less well known camera is the Balda Hapo 66e with the Ennagon lens. All three cameras I've mentioned are excellent picture takers and much smaller than the Fuji 670 or Mamiya.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Also look for a Minolta Autocord - They're highly praised for an "inexpensive" TLR. One cheap 6x6 folding rangefinder NOT to get is a Seagull - I had one, it's fun, but the lens is unpredictable. Sometimes it would give me soft-focus effects and sometimes not, and I could never figure out the when/why.

If you get a Yashica or Minolta TLR and decide you like the shooting style, then go grab a Rollei when you want to upgrade. Don't stint - go for the 2.8 Planar lens if you decide to get a Rollei.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've taken a liking to TLRs. People (photo subjects and strangers) like them. They make good photos. I've got a yashica C (3-element 80mm) and a Rolleiflex (automat mx with tessar 75/3.5 lens). The yashica was free and I paid $100ish to get it in proper working order. The Rollei was $200 on c-list all working properly. Both make perfect 8x10's at any aperture. The tessar takes an edge on 16" prints. Both cameras take the same filters, etc... If you've never had one, borrow one and run a few rolls through it.

I've got GAS for a folder, but aren't showing symptons yet. I keep an eye on ebay seller certo6. Nice fixed up folders; several to choose from all the time.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    Has anyone tried the Fujifilm GF670? I'm not lacking for kit, but I'm interested in adding a square format to the camera bag. The downside, it's pricy, and it's bound to have the rangefinder issue of not being able to get particularly close to your subject. I would love to know how it compares in size to a Mamiya 7, for example. I like that if folds up, and becomes more compact.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ng_Camera.html

Next option... maybe a Yashicamat 124G or some such. Way affordable. Pretty compact... not much of a downside...

I have a Holga, and though I like it fine, I'd like to have a bit more measure of control over the lens. Ideally, I want a slightly better lens on a Holga!

Thoughts anyone? TIA

I have one and love it. I have several medium format cameras but never had a square format and I was attracted to it early on but the price was too high. There's been a price drop, I got mine from B&H for $1640.00 and I'm pretty happy that I have a 6x6 in my kit. The viewfinder is the brightest I've ever looked through, negs are sharp, shutter is nice and quiet, it focuses closely enough for what I use it for and is a very usable camera....Cheers, Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Square formt is great, when I had Maniya C33*'s years ago I didn't really enjoy the square format, but loved the cameras, I was always cropping.

I bought a Yashica 124 off this forum when I moved to Turkey 5 years ago and now find I love the square format, I won't crop it these days. One word of caution though most older TLR's need their shutters CLA'd, that adds extra costs but is well worth it. I had to have both my Yashicamat and Rollieflex serviced and the Rollei had less than a dozen films through it in over 45 years

There's no real differance betweem a Yashicamat 124 and the 124G, gold contacts and more plastice The 124's are fun to use a bit lighter than the Rolleiflex.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the ideas, all. I impulsively bought what looks like a nicely CLA'd Agfa Isolette from an ebay seller someone mentioned, certo6. I want something that should work, so I figured, a camera that's had a recent CLA is a good way to go, and should resolve any issues of GAS I have for considerably less than the new Fuji. Still, a built in meter, aperture priority, the choice of two formats... *sigh*... I may have only cured a symptom, but not the disease!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you get it from certo6 it will perform flawlessly.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin