Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,376   Online: 1014

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

KEH vs buying Auction/Forum

Ive recenty sold all my digital gear (and I mean ALL) and went back to the right side with film. In the process, which Ive enjoyed graetly, Ive bought quite a few systems (Blad, RB67 etc) and have really loved the prices. However, in the process, I noticed something ...

In all my years with this habit (GAS), Ive always found KEH prices to be a little higher than what you can get from a forum or fleebay. I never had a problem with this because I knew that KEHs stuff would work and be in better condition than they described. BGN often equals EX++ online. Lately though, it seems that stuff is cheaper there than on here, or the other sites.... significantly so. For example, someone old a Mamiya 645AF for 1000 ... and several in EX are at 800 on KEH...

Just a observation... have anyone else noticed this trend? Are prices going up?

Also side note if anyones interested, I just pulled the trigger on the new Pacific Image PrimeFilm 120 negative scanner that SEEMS to be much like the Nikon 9000... once I get it, I can report my thoughts...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One good thing about KEH you can return in two weeks.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have noticed this to, before I place a bid I check KEH.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    One good thing about KEH you can return in two weeks.

Jeff
    Two weeks from date of invoice, not date of receipt, return for any reason. They recently increased their warranty period from the former 60 days to 6 months.

BTW Jeff, what are doing up so early on a Sunday? Are the liquor stores open already, or is it you haven't been to bed yet?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post

BTW Jeff, what are doing up so early on a Sunday? Are the liquor stores open already, or is it you haven't been to bed yet?
    In my county/state...
    no hard stuff on Sundays.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience has been exactly the opposite.

After recently deciding to go back to film less than two months ago, I set out to find a fully manual, vintage Nikon. I checked KEH first, looked around a few forums, and ended up finding my best deal on ebay. It was being sold by a neighbor of an elderly gentleman, and I only paid $34 for the near mint find. I still need to get it CLA'd, but its currently in working order.

Also, just this past week I decided that I wanted to replace the Mamiya TLR that I had lost sometimes during the party years of my 20's. I found ton's of bodies on ebay that were in my budget, but found KEH to be a bit on the higher side. After it was all said and done, I found my best deal here in APUG from another member.

With that being said, there is something to be noted for the slightly higher price from an individual or other forum member. The peace of mind knowing of where the equipment came from, what its history has been, and if there has been any damage or repairs is worth the extra few bucks for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Have many people on here ever sold anything to KEH.I wonder how their pricing compares in that respect?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    KEH will give you far less for an item than what you could sell it for on ebay, which should be expected.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Two weeks from date of invoice, not date of receipt, return for any reason. They recently increased their warranty period from the former 60 days to 6 months.

I haven't been to bed yet!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    With that being said, there is something to be noted for the slightly higher price from an individual or other forum member. The peace of mind knowing of where the equipment came from, what its history has been, and if there has been any damage or repairs is worth the extra few bucks for me.
    Different ways of thinking I guess; while I've had no bad experiences with forum buys or even eBay, unless I have prior buying history from the seller or they're a well known poster with really good comments, I've always felt that paying a few extra dollars from the likes of KEH were worth it, because of the no questions return policy and 6 month warranty.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin