Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,146   Online: 804

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kowa Six

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Had a little problem with my wonderful KOWA 6 - which I much prefer to the Hassie I also have - and Newton Ellis of Liverpool fixed it- and at a good price!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm revisiting this, because I'm again looking at buying it, if for no other reason than an early Christmas gift of shelf decor (although I have every intention of using it in the studio.)

I've been reading here: http://www.kilfitt.org/Cameras/Kowa.htm and also here: http://www.shutterbug.com/content/cl...-rollfilm-slrs and both sites quote common problems of stripped gears due to 'rough' handling. My question is, what is considered 'rough' handling? Normal use? A forceful wind? Playing soccer with it across the parking lot?

Also, I've read all of the responses here (more than once), and understand the inherent problem of continued parts and service. Ross Yerkes has been mentioned on this thread, and other random areas of the internet, but the one thing that seems to never be mentioned is his contact information. Does anyone know if in fact he is still servicing cameras, and how to contact him? I'd like to ask him a few questions about the cost of CLA's and such in case this setup needs it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nothing wrong with being the lowball guy...
    EXAMPLE... I know an old fuzzy wuzzy that keeps offering his lint-covered Leica on ebay for thousands and it never sells, why who is going to buy a lint covered Leica for thousands from a guy that keeps taking it in an out of his damp old basement?

If this person is just going to put the Kowa away again, offer them a low but fair price, considering that it hasn't been used in so long and likely needs $200 in CLA.

I had a friend that offered me an F3 for $150 she hadn't used it in so long, I gave her $250 and we were all happy, and it was a risk, cause it sat in a dirty box for a decade and a half unused.

Just because you think the kit is worth $1500 in e-bay bucks doesn't mean any of it actually sells on e-bay either. I recognize the same cameras month after month on e-bay. A Sinar kit I offered $825 or on the bay two months ago, is now actually priced at $725?!? Glad he turned my $825 offer down in September.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    If this person is just going to put the Kowa away again, offer them a low but fair price, considering that it hasn't been used in so long and likely needs $200 in CLA.

As I've been told, the owner used it regularly, thought not extensively until about 3 years ago. And its all been stored either in its original packaging (plastic, foam, and boxes) or in the case of the 250, the blue velvet lined case.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Someone just posted a complete Kowa set on Ebay, all the lens including the 500mm, first I have even seen for sale.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Chris:

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I sold the rig pictured for (as I recall) $1000 a few years ago (here in DFW - but I don't think it's the same stuff). Two bodies, grip, 4 lenses (55, 85, 150, 250) prism, sportsfinder, and all kinds of cases, hoods, caps, filters and do-dads. All in really good shape. I used them (all bought used from several sources) for about 10 years and only sold them to buy an RB rig because I wanted the bigger negative. One repair, by Yerkes, in all that time to one body.

As usual, YMMV.

Cheers,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kowas.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can Google Ross Yerkes to get his phone number -- as I recall, he doesn't have a website.

I really like these cameras and lenses, but unfortunately mine need servicing and I just can't swing it at the moment. I have one of each of the bodies -- Six, SixMM, Super 66. I love the way the bodies handle, with their vertical orientation. My sense is that one of these that's been given a going over by him will be very reliable. And the lenses are quite good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to have a super 66 setup with all the lens but the 19mm and 500mm. I had Ross service the body as soon as I got it, had zero problems with it or the lens for the eight years I owned them.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a kowa six that was my dad's. I know nothing about this camera or what it is worth. I took a few pics and need help!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought mine as the same kit you aare loking at for $300. I wouldn't care if I paid too much it is such a sweet camera n so much fun to use.. as well as the top quality of glass it has. That 55 is a real looker if it's the one with the huge chunk of glass up fromt in chrome. NICE N SWEET!

People say teh winding mechanisms are rather fragile.. I have absolutely no issies at all n have been using it ofr almost 3 years now. I am carefull n not wind very fast n I also take good care of my equipment.

you'll love it!
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin