Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,545,006   Online: 772

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Kowa Six

Shooter
    Medium Format
    oooooo so ncie!
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wait until you run across the 19mm, there's a chunk of glass.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    Wait until you run across the 19mm, there's a chunk of glass.
    I'll bet it is a beauty.. Kowa made miro scope lenses n medical glass long before it started in the camera optics business.. and they made some wonderful quality lenses.. I am very impressed with the lenses I have.. nice contrast n very sharp images.

Yeah I have to look for a 19mm now..... wife GAS...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    People say teh winding mechanisms are rather fragile.. I have absolutely no issies at all n have been using it ofr almost 3 years now. I am carefull n not wind very fast n I also take good care of my equipment.
    Agreed and I think this issue is overdone. The winding concern is also oft-raised with the Bronica S2 (non-S2A) which I have a copy of and much like. It seems to me that if one once finds an example with the winder in good condition (or a repairman can return it to good condition), that's solved and shouldn't be a risk thereafter. Since we're almost all hobbyists here shooting creatively (at least when using these cameras), we should rarely have need to wind on at breakneck speed. I treat my S2 as a knob-wind machine and never unfold the crank. It was presumably when people were running miles of 220 through these cameras in professional settings, where time=money, that they'd crank away with abandon and the winders would repeatedly get run down and repaired. In that case, yes, a camera with a bulletproof winder would run rings 'round the softer-geared machines. But for hobby use, I'll take my chances on the latter if it has other redeeming characteristics ... or is cheaper.
    --Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    But as a pro, I also took very good care of my investment bread n butter camera equpiment.. it was very expensive to replace and I earned my rent with em.. so why abuse when you can gently use? Also maintenance was on a regular basis.. unlike hobbiests, they'll CLA when it is dead.. way too late for that in the real money earning world.

My RBs function today as well as they did when I bought em new.

Some harsh criticism of the Kowas here. I've had two different Kowa sets: currently a standard black 6 and previously a 6MM. The 6MM had been heavily used and was a bit of a beater. My only complaint was the loud and firm mirror slap, and the weak film advance. Mine never broke, but you need to treat them with care. My current 6 is quieter and newer, and I very much enjoy using it. The lenses I have used are very sharp -- the "standard" 85/2.8 is sharper than the 80/2.8 on my Mamiya.

The 150/3.5 is an excellent portrait lens and can really blow out the background. The 40/4 is a fantastic lens -- well worth it's usual price $300-400. Note that Kowa is highly regarded optically in the cine industry.

Being able to swap-out a viewing screen is nice and handy. I prefer the WLF as the prism is too heavy for my tastes. Overall, I think they are a great deal, and like most older film cameras, the condition of the camera matters a lot. My current 6 is much nicer than my first one. I got a black 6 with both (black) the 85/2.8 and 150/3.5 from Columbus Camera for $200. I'm sure I could sell my set for what I paid for it easily. I recommend the Kowas, but again, stay away from those that look to be heavily worn.

Shooter
    Medium Format

joined the club

As a longtime Kowa spotting scope user, and medium Format film user (Zenza Bronica SQA), I had to get a Kowa Six sooner or laterNow it is here! My camera (see Picture) is marked "Kowa Six", but you more often see Pictures of "Kowa/Six" Is my "Kowa Six" the slightly revised second model of 1970? It has Serial Nr 328xxx (85 lens 1223xxx). has anyone Serial numbers of Kowa/Six or MM models for comparison?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kowa party.jpg   kowa six.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well late on this thread, but perhaps (hopefully) someone who needs to know will pick up on it. Kowa six range:: READ the instructions and it won't break down on you. Don't use the handle on the film winder, or, if you do, use it VERY gently. OK. All cameras need a bit of TLC on occasions, and for users in the UK / Europe I can HIGHLY recommend Cameratics - 120-122 Morningside Road Edinburgh, Midlothian EH10 4BX The United Kingdom Tel: 0131 447 2712 e-mail: repairs@cameratiks.co.uk. Paddy fixes my Kowa sixes and lenses - 3 sixes 1 sixmm and a super and a bunch of lenses and other bits. Anyone selling a 35 or 40 mm wide angle and a 200 or 250 tele, a bellows, and a 2 x converter? I'd be very happy to get a meassage from you. Don't believe the sceptics, if you stick to the user manual (Mike Butkus has them) and leave the winder arm tucked in they are fine. Superb glass, Kowa rank very highly in the cinema, TV and scientific lens areas as well as in binoculars and scopes. I also use autocords, mamiya C330 and Mamiya 645 Pro TL in medium format. All very fine cameras. My Kowas easily rank with these. Hope this helps someone. Mike :-) (Here in Western Norway we were wondering what happened to winter right now - then we found out - it's gone on holiday in Texas!) By the way, no personal relationship in any way shape or form to Cameratics - just in case anyone was wondering.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've owned and used more than one Six and they are fine cameras that work well. They often need servicing before use these days, but this can be accomplished by any competent repair tech at modest cost. They are not as common as say Hasselblads, but other than Hasselblad and Mamiya, NO medium format SLR system is particularly commonplace (in the USA at least). Lenses and accessories are all obtainable with a little patience and at moderate cost, most easily on eBay. If you have a lead on a good system at modest cost, I say go for it!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin