Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,767   Online: 872

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kowa Six

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kowa Six

Sooooo... through random conversation on my glass art forum, I discovered someone who had a Kowa Six. Jokingly I asked if he wanted to sell it, and he said to make him a serious offer. I know NOTHING about this camera, other than what it looks like. Below is what he has for sale.

What would a kit like this be worth today?

I'm off to google.

KOWA 6 camera Body - no case, no box
    Camera body handle/shutter release
    KOWA 85mm 2.8 w/focus handle on camera
    KOWA 250mm 5.6 lens w/hood & leather case
    KOWA 55mm 3.5 lens w/leather case
    Focus screens;
    Split Image
    Checkerboard lines - in camera
    Ground Glass w/center spot
    KOWA Telleconverter 2X
    KOWA Extension Tubes - T1, T2, T3

Boxes for all excessories except 250mm lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    By the looks of things bodies are worth anywhere from $150 to $300, and with lenses they are being sold for the $500 range.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know whether to encourage you, or attempt to discourage you ....

It has been over 35 years since any Kowa equipment was manufactured. Even in their heyday, Kowa equipment wasn't particularly easy to find.

It may be that the kit you are considering is in great shape and will function well for you. And then again you may need service next week - and may or may not be able to find a good service resource.

I've never owned Kowa equipment, and only had slight experience with them when I was selling cameras, but they never seemed a good choice for someone to use as their only medium format system.

Others with more direct experience may very well disagree.

You might look through this photo net thread to get a flavour for the sort of concerns I have: http://photo.net/medium-format-photo...0Z2tm?start=10

EDIT: If you decide to go ahead with this, the following APUG thread may be useful: kowa-repair-service
    Last edited by MattKing; 09-26-2011 at 02:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Matt.

Based on my very brief research, I don't think I would/could buy it unless he would take a ridiculously low price for it, and I don't want to be 'that' lowball guy.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Kowa outfit, 4 lens set, bought mine used over 30 years aso. Do not have the teleconverter or extension tubes. There are a couple of folks who repair Kowa's but parts are hard to find. Lens are fair to good, but not on the par of Ziess or a modern Japaness lens, I can get a quite good 16X20. The only issue that has come about which I have not found a reason for is that HP5 will not cock the mirror return as the film is advanced and the mirror locks, has not happened with any other film type such as Delta 400 or Tir X. Are the lens the chrome or black versons? A 66 rather than a Super 66 I guess older chrome. I would pay $450 to $500 for a clean set up, but consider finding a Super 66 with mirror lock up and interchangable backs, last model made as your primary body and use the 66 for a backup. I think a super 66with a 80 2.8 and 250 black lens sold for $495 at a local shop a couple of months ago.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    I asked if he wanted to sell it, and he said to make him a serious offer.
    I always walk on the "make me an offer" guys. If the price is a secret, so is my
    offer.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I always understood that Kowas were very fragile and so I would spend my money on an RB67

$200 tops
    David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That teleconverter is quite rare and would have excellent resale value. It's a high quality item and would match up particularly well with the 250mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it would be a steal at $550. You can always pick up a Super 66 body later if you need it. My lenses test on par with my Hassies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I remember looking at the Kowa 6 when they were first marketed. IMHO, they were a piece of junk, just like their 35mm cameras. I would heed the advice above. You might be stuck with a $500 boat anchor, except they're not heavy enough for that.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin