Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,876   Online: 1152

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

1/1000 top shutter speed

Today I went to a car show with the Pentax 645. Not realizing the top shutter speed is 1/1000, I didn't bring a pol or ND filter. I shot E100VS at 100 and Ilford HP5 at 400 ISO-that's about as slow as DR5 lab recommends for that film. In the blazing sunlight I had to use small apertures and get more DOF than I wanted Gotta get used to MF-with the Nikon 35mm and DSLRs I have, the top speed is 1/8000. I need to realize that the 645 doesn't do EVERYTHING like my other SLRs A polarizer probably would have been good to cut the glare from the shiny paint on the vehicles.
    Bill

Pentax 645, Pentax 6X7MLU, and many Nikons-F2 Photomic F2AS FM2N N2000 N6000 N6006 Nikomat FTN

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by f/16 View Post
    Today I went to a car show with the Pentax 645. Not realizing the top shutter speed is 1/1000, I didn't bring a pol or ND filter. I shot E100VS at 100 and Ilford HP5 at 400 ISO-that's about as slow as DR5 lab recommends for that film. In the blazing sunlight I had to use small apertures and get more DOF than I wanted Gotta get used to MF-with the Nikon 35mm and DSLRs I have, the top speed is 1/8000. I need to realize that the 645 doesn't do EVERYTHING like my other SLRs A polarizer probably would have been good to cut the glare from the shiny paint on the vehicles.
    A good polarizer is absolutely necessary to shoot cars outdoors, along with a tripod. You'll never miss the 1.5 stops.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A standard in a MF kit is are a couple of ND filters plus the polarizer. Or at least a polarizer filter. When I go out I usually have a load of as slow a film as I can find and slap on the back when out of doors. If course my max speeed is only 1/500th so slow is good. Sadly, it seems that film companies think everyone is walking around with cameras with 1/2000 and 1/4000 spped shutters and finding slow film to day is getting difficult. Last time I went film shopping I was looking for MF but noticed for 35mm most of the stores were only offering 400 iso and a few had some 200. I'm used to shooting 10-100 range.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes I'll always carry the 67mm cir pol with 58-67 step up ring and 67mm collapsible rubber lens hood. Until I get a 58mm polarizer. In my collection of filters I found a 58mm Tiffen 2 stop ND-that one will stay in the camera bag also.
    Bill

Pentax 645, Pentax 6X7MLU, and many Nikons-F2 Photomic F2AS FM2N N2000 N6000 N6006 Nikomat FTN

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    HP5+ can be shot at 250 or 320 and developed in Perceptol. http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...1054152313.pdf

And you can always do standard underexposure/underdevelopment techniques as well though probably not best to do so without experimenting a bit first.

PanF+ is nice slow speed film and good and constrasty at 50 and can be shot at 25 as well.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    HP5+ can be shot at 250 or 320 and developed in Perceptol. http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...1054152313.pdf

And you can always do standard underexposure/underdevelopment techniques as well though probably not best to do so without experimenting a bit first.

PanF+ is nice slow speed film and good and constrasty at 50 and can be shot at 25 as well.
    I don't develop my own film yet. At this point, I am lab dependent and will send it to DR5 for positives.
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it my imagination or do more people shoot with wider apertures these days than in the past?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Is it my imagination or do more people shoot with wider apertures these days than in the past?
    I think the trend these days is certainly toward shallower depth of field, you can see it in the progression of APS-C DSLR users migrating toward FF DSLR, of 35mm users migrating toward MF, and MF toward 4x5 and 8x10. Within those systems, people are increasingly shooting the lenses farther wide open.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I seem to recall the opposite, people using as narrow an aperture as possible to make sure all was in focus. Now we want almost nothing in focus it seems
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Extremely shallow DOF is everywhere in ads both video and print. Along with HDR, it's probably the most used(and abused)PS effect. I sometimes think that's the source.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin