Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,480   Posts: 1,542,702   Online: 819

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How do you use your 500 ELM?

So I picked up a 500 ELM as a back up body for my 500 C/M since I have been "collecting lenses" 40/50/80/120/150 for some time now and just love using the C/M. I got rather concerned that if the C/M went down I would be camrealess till I got it repaired so I picked up the ELM for 160 USD. Nice shape too.

I shot a roll of film with it and am satisifed that it functions as well as I believe it should (never used one before, but did read the Hasselblad instructions on it) So I will not feel so dependent on one body.

Thing is, I wonder if there are some unique ways of using the ELM far above what I have thought of as a backup. One thought was to do portraits, but that is a no brainer, but how about other useful things others have accomplished with a motorized V model.

Looking for your suggestions. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Lee

In the good old days, we used these in the studio for apparel/fashion work because you didn't need to stop and crank the thing after each shot. When digital encroached, we tied them to Leaf DCB 3-shot camera backs for tabletop work. They were dependable workhorse cameras, but nothing exotic, and we didn't use them for anything extra-special. On a technical note, they seemed to run better with two batteries than one. We replaced the original NiCad with aftermarket Li-ion batteries, which were really good. I forget the maker.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgomena View Post
    On a technical note, they seemed to run better with two batteries than one. We replaced the original NiCad with aftermarket Li-ion batteries, which were really good. I forget the maker.

Peter Gomena
    Peter,

Thanks for the post. In reply to part of it, I have a 9 volt adapter in it and so far it seems well. Was it more dependable with two batts?

Certainly looking for more ideas

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I recently toured the NY Stock Exchange and noted that they still use a pair of ELMs (with d***-backs) for photos of the opening bell ringers each day. The cameras are permanently mounted across from the podium and are triggered remotely.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This may not be appropriate for an analog audience, but...

I shoot a 555ELD (latest version of the ELM) with my CFV-39 Hasselblad digital back.

That combination allows me to shoot tethered from the computer without touching the camera after focusing.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How do I use...Good question!
    I don't seem to use my ELX at all - always seem to prefer my other bodies. Too heavy? Perhaps not, unfortunately just don't seem to need the motorized version – though nice to hear it's sound!
    /Bertil

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Got two 500ELMs. Both non functional and used as paperweights. They should really find a new home.
    Gun Control is like: Reducing drunk driving by making it harder for SOBER people to buy cars.

The ELMs could be used with one or two batteries in place. They seemed to work a little more smoothly and quickly with two batteries, and longer, of course. As I remember, the NiCad or LiIon batteries took several hours to recharge. The advantage of the LiIon batteries was that they didn't have the "memory" problems of the NiCads and could be recharged when only partially discharged. The NiCads had to be completely discharged first. The LiIon batteries were definitely superior to the NiCads generally. Someone out there must still make them.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    I shoot a 555ELD (latest version of the ELM) with my CFV-39 Hasselblad digital back.
    Drool/stare/gawk/slip on my own saliva covering the floor...
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The problem with ELMs is the type of battery no longer exists in a fresh form. Some NOS may be out there, but for the most part, they are gone. Lithium does not have the power (amperes) to properly run the ELM unless two batteries are used in parallel in the adapters. And even then they are only good for a few rolls before going soft. The 9-volt adapters seem to hold up a little better/longer. The Varta specs the OEM battery at 1,000mAh and 6 volts. (five cells). I've gone the external battery route with mine. The cameral runs off the same Quantum battery as the flash and simply plugs into the second power port. The cable is easy to make too.
    Gun Control is like: Reducing drunk driving by making it harder for SOBER people to buy cars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin