Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,473   Online: 941

Shooter
    Medium Format

Gx680III ebay purchase. Keep it or send it back?

Gx680III's are pretty rare these days. I picked up a kit including the 80mm and 135mm lens, body, Back IIIN with cracked plastic lcd cover (lcd is okay) with 120 Insert and four older backs (2 are 120 and 2 are 220). The 80mm was listed as "has small scratch on coating that affects nothing."

What I got was missing a 120 insert, all the older backs have dead batteries and the 80mm lens has more than a small scratch, it has multiple minor scuffs. Now the older backs require dismantling and replacement of a soldered in battery.

My question is, I paid $1400 shipped, even with the issues, my question is, should I just keep it? I fear putting together something similar would be more expensive, unless I moved down to the orginial Gx680.

Thoughts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know these cameras or their value on the used market but based on what you described I wouldn't be happy for the mere fact that you dropped a chunk of change on the kit.

Regardless of worth. Hell I b*tch anytime something is "not as described" even if its a low dollar item.

edit: at least complain through ePay's "not as described" and try to get some dinero knocked off the full price.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, the missing film insert in the back is a pretty serious infraction in my book, but I can get replacements for $50 each. I guess it's a fine line between, i want a partial refund and them just saying, send the whole thing back for a refund.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd say $1400 is a bit much, especially with the 80mm scratched up like that. I'd get my money back and look for some other deals.

For what it is worth, I have two 680 ver. 1 bodies and a couple of IIIS bodies that I purchased for less than $500 total - and two of those came with the AA battery holders and other add ons.

I have seen nice condition 680III bodies for $500-700 and the lenses are not that expensive 80mm $250-400 and the 135mm for $150 or so. Film backs sometimes come bundled in groups with the inserts for $99 or more for minty IIIN versions.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you are afraid of not being able to pick one up by auction again, I will be listing a GX680III in very nice condition soon. It will have the 80mm lens and a 210mm one. I will also be listing a 50mm separately. I expect it will go at the price you paid (although you'll be missing the extra backs), and I can guarantee it will arrive as described :-)
    Last edited by pbryld; 10-06-2011 at 05:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Update: I gave the 80mm a good cleaning and it's actually in great condition - I'm unsure why you would ship glass without cleaning it first ??

Three of the four older backs in fact do not have dead batteries, which is good. I didn't realize you had to push the little button to get it to show the number of shots. Although, one back is definitely dead still, which is odd because that's the back in which a piece of plastic was in between the dark slide and film insert and the entire back inside looks absolutely mint and absolutely no slide marks on the dark slide.

I told the seller, I'd settle for a $65 refund, which seems reasonable as I can get a battery and insert for that price.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well that is good news then with the lens being cleaned up and looking good as well as the film backs. Now keep and eye out for "pbryld's" 50mm. The lens is a big, beautiful piece of glass with some movements still available despite how wide it is. Great lens!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, not sure I would want the 50mm if it can't do a full tilt, wing. I could have used the 65mm today the 80mm is just not quite wide enough. My next lenses will be the 180mm f/3.2 then the 250mm or 300mm. But the 180mm f/3.2 is on my short list.

Loving the camera for now. I got two instant film backs, so that's been fun, I've never used Polaroids to proof my work, but I've been enjoying that work flow!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The 50mm is amazingly wide... I picked one up several months ago and it is astounding. You can do some tilt and shift movements, but not the complete movements.

The 180mm f/3.2 is lovely. Easily my favourite for portraits. Just so razor thin DOF at f/3.2 - stellar for this type of work.

Have you tried pulling out the mask for the Polaroid? The lenses cover a slightly larger area and you get a square image with a small bevel to each of the corners. Looks cool.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertZeroK View Post
    Yeah, not sure I would want the 50mm if it can't do a full tilt, wing. I could have used the 65mm today the 80mm is just not quite wide enough. My next lenses will be the 180mm f/3.2 then the 250mm or 300mm. But the 180mm f/3.2 is on my short list.

Loving the camera for now. I got two instant film backs, so that's been fun, I've never used Polaroids to proof my work, but I've been enjoying that work flow!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hope you kept it it.... I have two and apart from having so much arthritis they are past being able to be moved about, I love them. The lenses are sharper than most others you will ever see. 6x8 is so perfect a format. I think you will/would love it!
    Logan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin