Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,729   Online: 891

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya C330 55mm Lens cleaning or repair

Hi,

I've recently purchased a Mamiya C330f kit including 55mm, 80mm, 135mm and 250mm lenses. When i received it both the 80mm and 55mm lenses had some fungus on the taking lens and the 55mm has a pretty full coating on one of the back elements.

Playing around with the 55mm lens I realised that the rear element group which contains the affected element is in a self contained holder which screws out, but then you can't get any further in to the inner element which has the fungus.

I was hoping I could get in and clear the element with a cue tip and some alcohol/ammonia/hydrogen peroxide, but couldn't get any further than unscrewing the lens group.

My second thought was that if i could unscrew the same lens group from the viewing lens I could just swap them over and at least avoid fungus on the taking lens, however the viewing lens does not seem to screw out.

Does anyone know if it is possible to unscrew the rear element group from the viewing lens? If so is there a special tool i should use, or might rubber gloves help with grip?

My final question is if all of this fails, how much do you think it would cost to get it cleaned professionally (in the UK). Not a full CLA as the shutter seems fine, but just this rear element group being cleaned.

Sorry for such a long question, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As far as pro cleaning....where are you based in the UK?
    regards,

Tony

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Live in London, but don't mind sending out if there is someone recommended.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Viewing lens and taking lens are difference construction. You can't mix it up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    regards,

Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look here for some instructions. http://tlr-mamiya-c.blogspot.com/ Hope this helps. I have cleaned my lenses with basic tools. They are not complicated and easy to take apart with just a few tools. Parts from Hasselblad such as springs will fit.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've had Mamiya lenses--RB67 and TLRs--repaired by Chen Parmar out in Hounslow.

I was referred to him by Fixation of London; as they work nearly exclusively on Canon & Nikon gear, they told me they send the occasional bit of Mamiya kit that comes their way to him.

I've hand-delivered my gear to Mr. Parmar on the occasions I've used his service. He always has everything ready within four or five days, and his prices are fairly reasonable.

I've been completely pleased with his service. It's been a few years since I've needed him, though, so you might want to ring him and see if he's still in the business. You can reach him on 020 8737 7936.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by goodfood View Post
    Viewing lens and taking lens are difference construction. You can't mix it up.
    I've been curious about this for a long time. Do you know of any further resources to investigate this issue? Thanks.
    Steve

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin