Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,430   Online: 965

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by georg16nik View Post
    Any practical knowledge outside of the common frame or the so beaten up "standard laboratory conditions"?
    This has nothing to do with "standard laboratory conditions". A pH value is defined and meaningful for aqueous solutions, not for CO2 in air, regardless of how chemically experienced you try to appear.
    I am curious to hear how many people are aware (first hand experience) of basic stuff, like the CO2 concentration of the air inside a lens and what is necessary for H2CO3 ?
    In aqueous solution, H2CO3 will form from CO2 which can turn into H3O+ + HCO3-, sometimes even into 2 H3O+ + CO32-. Absent liquid water H2CO3 won't exist, much less the other forms. In aqueous solution these forms act as an acid and you also have a measurable pH value slightly below 7.

In my country that's required learning for a simple high school degree. That's where I also learned what pH values are. Remember: if it's in wikipedia, it's probably not rocket science.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are probably too Young or too unexperienced.
    high school degree, basic chemistry or wikipedia wont stretch it when it comes to the real life.
    Also, somehow You didn't answer my question "CO2 concentration of the air inside a lens". Its part of the optical design for top grade lenses.
    Most of the fungus/bacterias issues in optics are due to that basic high school chemistry of the staff workers.
    Military specs optics are exception.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    high school degree, basic chemistry or wikipedia wont stretch it when it comes to the real life.
    At least it teaches what a pH value is.
    Also, somehow You didn't answer my question "CO2 concentration of the air inside a lens". Its part of the optical design for top grade lenses.
    I am not reporting to you so please keep your ??? attitude to yourself. You provided zero information (neither theoretical nor real life) in your posts except careless chemical lingo and patronizing insults to me and others in order to defend your lingo. Put up or shut up, please.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One probably needs serious background in bacteriology and/or microbiology to grasp that during winter times or humid climates, most consumer grade lenses happens to experience condensation on the inside, unless they are filled with gas.
    pH is characteristic for ionic environments, the concept that pH applies only to aqueous solution is very old school.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One probably needs serious background in bacteriology and/or microbiology to grasp that during winter times or humid climates, most consumer grade lenses happens to experience condensation on the inside, unless they are filled with gas.
    No, all one needs for that is basic high school education. I doubt but still hope your scientific pride derives from more than the knowledge about condensation and relative humidity. Most camera owners, with or without bacteriological expertise, also know how to handle camera equipment, so condensation inside lenses shouldn't occur in practice. If it does regularly, your lenses are toast anyway.
    pH is characteristic for ionic environments, the concept that pH applies only to aqueous solution is very old school.
    Well, you go and teach us the new school then. Since you just enlightened us about condensation inside lenses, you still seem to agree that acids or their precursors need some environment where they dissociate into ions. I stand by my assertion: talking about the pH value of air is BS or careless chemical lingo at best. And since I have seen virtually anything go moldy from soap to lemons, I seriously doubt that the exact pH value has a lot of effect on fungus unless it gets very high or low.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A basic high school education?

Not in the US any more. Here a basic high school education basically means you showed up, and you might be able to sign your name.

I would be shocked if 20% of the kids graduating from my location can give you a coherent explanation of pH.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Michael,
    How far went the quest Distiller vs. Reverse Osmosis for You?
    I remember we commented on a thread about black spots on Ilford Pan F..
    Distilled water is quite in line with the fungus thread.

Rudeofus, there is no way to know for sure how most people treat their cameras, if there are 4 strong pronounced season and so on.
    Also, You don't have Your curent location displayed and are not subscriber. 2 signs that photography and cameras are not of interest for You.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Rudeofus, there is no way to know for sure how most people treat their cameras, if there are 4 strong pronounced season and so on.
    Well, those who don't treat their cameras well are prone to see the result of their actions pretty soon.
    Also, You don't have Your curent location displayed and are not subscriber. 2 signs that photography and cameras are not of interest for You.
    Whatever my private details or interests are, they should be of no concern to you. Besides your location and subscriber status you contributed no useful information, not even any signs of real knowledge into this to this thread and your "Michael, old buddy, nice to see you again, we're so cool, aren't we?" bluff won't save your face here. Insults and accusations won't either.

But I can tell you one little secret about me: putting you in my ignore list is a clear sign that You, Your attitude and Your (lack of) knowledge are not of interest for Me. Bye!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Michael,
    How far went the quest Distiller vs. Reverse Osmosis for You?
    Not sure that I think this is a diversion.

The truth is that my dad has been quite ill for the past several months, and most of my time that ordinarily goes to photography has been devoted to him.

As for my distilled vs RO decision, I have not purchased either yet. My leaning is toward a very small commercial distilled system - used if I can find one in good shape. One time cost compared to the recurring costs of an RO system is my criteria.

But for the foreseeable future my dad's needs will take priority. Photography is just a hobby, after all.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Michael,
    I hope Your father get well!
    In the US You should be able to get small distilled system for ~100$US. As I said in another thread, some colleagues imported their distillers from US a few years ago and that was the price they paid.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin