Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,547   Online: 964

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Fungus inside lens

So, I just found out one of my lenses is infected with fungus. Quite severe i think (?).

It's on a Hasselblad 80mm T* lens.

My question is: Is it absolutely impossible to dissemble it clean it by myself? Is it possible to be done by a repair man? I would really like to do it myself.

I was planning on selling it, but now I guess it's close to worthless. Is it?
    It isn't visible through the viewfinder. Does that make a difference?

Thanks in advance...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02439.JPG  
    Last edited by pbryld; 10-08-2011 at 11:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Could you find someone that clean could it for you?

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take a roll of film and look at it. It's probably O.K. That lens can last you 10 or 20 years.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    Could you find someone that clean could it for you?

Jeff
    Not really. I was hoping to be able to do it myself, if possible.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    Take a roll of film and look at it. It's probably O.K. That lens can last you 10 or 20 years.
    But its value is not that great anymore, correct?

I'll run a film through it and see how the photographs are affected. Wouldn't you characterise the problem to be quite severe, though?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There probably is enough fungus to have an effect on your pictures. Flare, loss of contrast, soft image.
    The lens is till going for over $300.

The group you want to get at is held in by the inner spanner nut/ring. it's visible in the picture and is the smaller ring with two notches at 180 degrees.
    A cheap pair of pliers with the tips ground t fit the notches will work. If they fit correctly they won't mark anything. Slip and all bets are off.
    You may need a small suction cup to get the glass out. Clean it with ammonia and wipe the barrel out with it too.
    The fungus will just get worse if you leave it there.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hit it with a UV light and use it as a soft focus lens short of a major CLA.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Fungus is a living thing that will spread to your other lenses. I had that happen and had to toss out 8 lenses. I don;t let a lens with fungus anywhere near my home now.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I opened up my 80mm for the first time just a little while back. Thankfully everything went really smoothly. I just opened it up and cleaned it out, really straight forward.

Good luck!

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    There probably is enough fungus to have an effect on your pictures. Flare, loss of contrast, soft image.
    The lens is till going for over $300.

The group you want to get at is held in by the inner spanner nut/ring. it's visible in the picture and is the smaller ring with two notches at 180 degrees.
    A cheap pair of pliers with the tips ground t fit the notches will work. If they fit correctly they won't mark anything. Slip and all bets are off.
    You may need a small suction cup to get the glass out. Clean it with ammonia and wipe the barrel out with it too.
    The fungus will just get worse if you leave it there.
    I agree with you John. The lens should be cleaned, and ammonia kills the fungus. 24-25% white vinegar can also be used. Vinegar is a potent fungicide.

Pliers can work, or you could make a tool by cutting a sheet of metal, and there's also spanner wrenches for lenses to buy on e*bay ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Spanner-...-/200658548947 )

Whatever works, as long as the tool fits both of the notches in the lens element retaining ring so you can unscrew it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fungus.jpg  
    J. Patric Dahlén

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin