Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,007   Online: 1065

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Bronica ETR ETRS question

Is there any difference between a 120 back for an ETR/ETRS and a 220 back besides the insert?
    Just curious, thanks.

Dean
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nope.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Didn't think so, but wanted to be sure. 220 backs are cheaper on eBay, and I have an extra 120 insert.
    thanks
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The back is the same. You can use either insert with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, there is a difference. The safety interlocks on the ETRS and ETRSi are better than on the ETR. I have sets of all of the backs and those for the ETR can let you fire the shutter with the dark slide in and also you can remove the back with no darkslide. Kinda makes you keep your eyes open and your mind alert!

KEH shipped me an ETR back that was supposed to be an ETRS back. I learned the hard way! But, they were very nice about it and gave me a huge discount when I agreed to keep the ETR back.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE, you are correct on the differences between earlier/later backs, but Dean was asking if there was a difference between 120 and 220 backs other than the insert, that is, does anything other than the insert determine if a back is 120 or 220.

There are some differences in backs which could be associated with the differences in E-series models because of introduction times, though all backs fit any early or late E series camera, excepting the C, which could only exchange inserts, not backs.

The early ones for ETR and ETR-S from 1979 to 1982 have the single release tab with coaxial lock.
    When the ETR-S was changed to polycarbonate body panels in 1982, the backs and inserts also changed to partly polycarbonate. The release was changed to the two-tab style. A problem was that the collar around the dark slide pin which kept the camera from firing with the dark slide in was also plastic and could get damaged or broken. I have some of those and with reasonable care the collar is fine.
    With the ETR-Si in 1989 the collar was changed to metal, and a full dark slide lock (with the grey handle dark slide) was introduced.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dphphoto View Post
    Didn't think so, but wanted to be sure. 220 backs are cheaper on eBay, and I have an extra 120 insert.
    thanks
    If you have an insert, then you don't need to buy a full back (even 220). KEH lists the back shell by itself.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a couple of the early 2 tab backs along with the original 1 tab and never had the plastic collar break. I suspect to breal it, it requires a bit of heavy abuse. The 1 tab back though supposively change because it was could open I never had a problem with as it has a safety lock that needs to be moved before the tab can be moved. I suspect persons finding problems with it did not close the back correctly. Maybe because I am used to the Bronica, I never found the locking slide of the 3rd type a non-issue. Of the 3, I actually prefer the earliest. Used right there is no chance of it opening while with the 2-tab versions there is no lock preventing the back from opening.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    LX;

Thanks. You are correct.

I have 3 backs here and the 120 ETR and 120 ETR-Si (to be more exact in nomenclature) are identical except as I described and you described in terms of materials and interlocks.

But, the inserts appear identical between 120 and 220. Short of taking the film out and examining them, I cannot judge. However, the 120 and 220 backs themselves differ in terms of having different counters for the frames. Of course we all know about the differences between the 120 and 220 inserts themselves regarding paperless 220 vs paper backed 120.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    LX;

Thanks. You are correct.

I have 3 backs here and the 120 ETR and 120 ETR-Si (to be more exact in nomenclature) are identical except as I described and you described in terms of materials and interlocks.

But, the inserts appear identical between 120 and 220. Short of taking the film out and examining them, I cannot judge.
    Don't yours have the labels on the side?

However, the 120 and 220 backs themselves differ in terms of having different counters for the frames.
    But it's the inserts that have the counters.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin