Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,960   Posts: 1,558,279   Online: 930

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, now we home something to begin with

I would say the Bronica RF645 would not be the best solution - the 65mm lens is a bit wide for portraits (well, depends what you like of course, but it is like 35mm on small format) and the 100mm lens is both pricey and rather rare.

Some TLR would be nice if you like portraits in square. On top of that I found that people really respond well to it.

Of course all hand holdable SLRs (does RB67 belongs in that category?) are perfect for portraits, though could scare crowds on streets

I have only short experience with a Pentax 645N and found that camera really easy to use and the mirror slap was not so bad. A true big SLR (I guess the Pentax 67 really is just for big boys - but the 105/2.4 seems great for portraits)

If I were you I would try to chose based on lenses (if that is any help, all cameras you consider offer great lenses)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Well I am admittedly a huge fan of both 35mm and 50mm focal lengths in small format terms. In fact, those are my two most used lenses. I would be perfectly happy with a 40-50mm ish lens honestly. For my purpose that would be just fine.

I've often wondered about the Pentax 67. I've never actually shot with one, but I have handled them a few times. I found it odd that the camera was so heavy yet the lenses weighed almost nothing, less than even my smallest Canon lens (despite being physically large). Does that bother anyone in actual usage? It's also my understanding that the P67 has one hell of a mirror slap and can cause some grief at slower shutter speeds. Pentax does hold a special place in my heart though as my first camera was an MX.
    - Abram

Mamiya 7II / Hasselblad 500CM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by agphotography View Post

I've often wondered about the Pentax 67. I've never actually shot with one, but I have handled them a few times. I found it odd that the camera was so heavy yet the lenses weighed almost nothing, less than even my smallest Canon lens (despite being physically large). Does that bother anyone in actual usage? It's also my understanding that the P67 has one hell of a mirror slap and can cause some grief at slower shutter speeds. Pentax does hold a special place in my heart though as my first camera was an MX.
    I have two AP6x7s.

They are very easy to handle (like a largish 35mm SLR) and you don't really notice the weight (unless handicapped). It is a good idea to attach one of the carrying handles as well as a carrying strap (not necessarily an original fitting, though the originals are excellent, but scarce). I often carry one of mine as a walk-about camera (short distances -up to a mile, or so: no problem!).

In my opinion, the mirror slap is an over exaggeration. 1/60th in braced position is quite doable even with a 200mm lens. 1/125th is easy. (All my shots are hand-held and I have no complaints)..Of course, it all depends on the size of your enlargements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Buy whatever your budget allows you to get.
    Good luck!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Galah View Post
    They are very easy to handle (like a largish 35mm SLR) and you don't really notice the weight (unless handicapped).
    Please be respectful. Thanks, Sander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got a Mamiya 645 AFD and aside from the lousy AF, it's a great camera. You can get the AF versions with lenses for under $700.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sandermarijn View Post
    Please be respectful. Thanks, Sander
    I don't know why the two symbols appeared: they were not visible on my screen when I went to remove them in "edit" mode , but point taken.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Well there are a lot of great options here. The Mamiya 645 AFD greatly interests me, but I really wish I could pick up a Mamiya 7. I may still look into a Fuji GW690 as I would like to not spend the higher range of my budget right now. (I'd like to have some cash left for a small meter and some film.

What's the general consesus on the GW690II?

Though I admit I am also greatly intrigued by the idea of a Rolleiflex. I've never owned a TLR before.
    - Abram

Mamiya 7II / Hasselblad 500CM

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I would go along with Since-z-gsi"......."people just like TLR's".

I did street photography about 35 years ago using a Yashica 124, an old Rolleicord, and a Mamiya 330. They were all fine. I think, when you raise a camera to your eye and "aim" it at someone, it really alters the relationship between the subject and the shooter. The waist level cameras, to my way of thinking, were always less intrusive. Some countries regarded the eye-level camera as the "evil eye".

The waist level cameras were much easier to plop down on table tops, fence posts, and what not, as make-do tripods.

TLR's anymore, have been out of date for so long, you might have a "candid" advantage over a eye-level camera.

My Mamiya with telephoto was a beast - the 124, Rollei's and the like were pretty easy to handle.

Jerry W
    Warrenton, Virginia

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't have a huge amount of experience, but I do have different types of medium format cameras, including a Rolleicord, an Agfa Isolette, and two SLRs (6x6, and 6x4.5). By far my favorite in terms of results, weight, build, and as has been mentioned, the way people react is my Rolleicord. It's quiet and light, yet really well built. I say jump on the TLR. I paid $50 for my Rolleicord III, which can't fit in the "on a budget" category any more appropriately.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin