Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,568   Posts: 1,545,453   Online: 1123

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey Keith, thanks for the generous offer!
    Luckily MAC Group isn't too far away from here (Elmsford). I've dealt with them in the past (about 6 years ago) and they were really nice and rather speedy. If I don't find a simple DIY solution by the end of the weekend, I'll just make the trip over there and see what they can do.

In the meantime, if anyone has ideas... I'll be happy to hear them.

Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just picked up a Mamiya 6 yesterday and thought I had the same issue... but turns out that the film wasn't winding onto the takeup spool. Are you positive that the film is advancing properly? Also, what does your exposure counter read?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi kerrybr. Yes, the film is advancing properly. I've already wasted three rolls in tests to try and figure out what the problem is. I see the counter advance normally as I wind the film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi. I spoke to technical support at MAC Group in New York. They wouldn't let me speak to a technician to try and troubleshoot the problem on the phone. So without a choice I'll need to have the camera sent for repair.

But I believe I have managed to narrow down the problem.

After doing all sorts of tests, I have a strong feeling that the problem is that for some reason the camera is not registering there is film in it. And that is why the shutter release button won't fire, the film-advance lever will wind the film without it stopping at frame 1.

Does anyone know how the Mamiya 6 detects if there is film in it? Is there some sort of lever or electronic censor?
    If I find out what detects the film, I might be able to figure out what the problem is.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had a good look in the back of my Mamiya 6 and I couldn't find anything like what I expected to find, like a lever etc. My guess (complete guess) is that it senses the rotation of the full spool when the film is loaded.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Okay, well... I've already handed the camera to a repair service. So far, without opening up the camera, they suspect the winding system will require a complete overhaul, quoted at $300 . They say that there is a possibility that more problems will be discovered once the camera is open, so I should be prepared for further costs if it turns out this is the case .

I asked about the film detection. They say that the film is detected by the roller, located just before the film goes to the pickup spool.
    But they believe it is not a case of the camera failing to detect the film but rather the camera failing to detect that the film has reached the next frame when being wound - which apparently has to do with the winding mechanism.

I'll post back when I have more details. Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Please let us know how it goes. I have one that needs repair, and it's good to get feedback about repairers.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    hi. i guess your problem matches mine with a 7 body. i bought it a few months ago and shot just one roll to test it, it went just fine. now on a random basis (let's say 3 out of 10 exposures) i advance the film, shutter won't fire, advance the film again, shutter usually fires. By closely listening i managed to hear like a "click" when releasing the film advance lever after advancing the film. when it happens, the shutter won't fire. when it does'nt, the shutter fires. placing a finger underneath the camera on the curtain rotary knob yuo can "feel" this click as a light vibration. From what I gathered by browsing the internet, it's related to a magnetic switch which tells the system that the shutter has fired. now, I think this switch should be operated by the firing button (in one way) and by the film advance lever (in the other way). for some reason i think sometimes the film advance lever "charges" the system on its way up and erroneusly "discharges" the system on its way back.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Resolution?

Adifrank,

Did you get the camera back from Mamiya? What was the outcome?
    My camera has been skipping an occasional frame for years, but it has suddenly gotten much worse.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    weird. i thought i had replied with the outcome of this a long time ago.
    anyway, better late than never.
    i handed the camera to nippon camera service in manhattan. the said the camera needed an overhaul of the winding mechanism (whatever that means). camera was fixed pretty quickly and it works fine now. i hope i'm not mistaken, but if memory serves me right, it set me back $300, which i believe is kind of the standard going rate for any serious repair for this camera either at nippon or at mac (mamiya).
    thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin