Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,535   Posts: 1,544,071   Online: 1110

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    @polygott... diffraction isn't an issue at least for me in the F32 range and large sensors. Diffraction wasn't an issue for those decades of catalog photography done on 8x10 film... and DOF can be manipulated.
    While it's "not an issue", it means you lose all the resolution to be gained from going to a larger size. Say you can shoot at f/11 on 35mm, to get the same DOF on 4x5 you need about f/40... and you'll get no more resolution than you would have with the 35mm frame, so why burn 9x as much film? Much better to use some movements, shoot at f/11 or f/22 and get a much higher quality result from the larger film. Same logic applies to medium format - if you can get a good enough lens and some movements, 6x7 or 6x9 is probably big enough that you're fundamentally limited by optics rather than film area so there's not really much to be gained from going to 4x5.

The point is that the movements are necessary and can save you from diffraction in a lot of cases. And if you don't have movements when shooting macro, you're just wasting film at the larger sizes because you'll practically always be diffraction-limited.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope to start shoot products sooner or later, i did some shots and i like some of them but all doesn't as high quality professionally look, so i have to shoot again and try to edit them better way, and i will use any gear to have good enough quality or look or whatever i want, DLSR, digiMF, LF,...etc.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin