Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,914   Posts: 1,584,700   Online: 722

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

thinking of taking the med format plunge for product shots. What do I want?

I'm a bit confused here. I have been reading that the 645 and the RB67 are both 120 film. BUT I also read that the negative on the 67 is a lot bigger.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. But what's the difference if they are both 120?

thanks for the clarification.

Beyond that, the question in my thread. I'm considering going from digital to medium format. I'd like the best images for the web (build musical instruments). I'm currently using a Nikon D40 and my initial thought was buy a full frame sensor camera. But with a little prompting from my wallet, from Ken Rockwell's site and just flipping through some film scans on the web, I've decided that maybe Medium Format is what I'm looking for. So... for 1600 on the long side sized images with striking quality what do I want? I realize that 645, 67, 4X5 and a bunch of other options are out there. But I don't know where to start.

I'd love some experienced advice!
    thanks,
    Nick

EDIT: after a bit more searching (I guess I wasn't looking in the right places) I think I found the answer. 67 is 6x7cm and 645 is 6x4.5cm. But I still don't get how the film is the same. I guess the frame size and how much is advanced with each film exposure and advance?
    Last edited by 777funk; 10-16-2011 at 07:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Medium format film isn't divided into frames before it is exposed, so the frame can be as large as the film gate in the camera--whatever it may be--limited by the actual width of the film, which is 6cm, so you can have 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x8, 6x9, 6x12, 6x18, or even 6x24, and then there are a few unusual formats in between.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I have to be honest with you here. Though medium format cameras are ideal for studio and product photography (and to answer your question, The Mamiya RB67 or RZ67 should be right at the top of your list based on your purpose)

For only web images you're going to go through a lot of hassle to have to shoot, process and scan film for only 1600px? My iPhone can meet those requirements.

Now in all fairness, the D40 is a great beginner camera, but now you're talking about jumping into a whole different world of photography equipment and techniques. I don't want to discourage you from pursuing medium format, especially because I firmly believe it is a wonderful thing that everyone should experience. I just wonder if for your stated intentions if it is indeed the best option for you...
    - Abram

Mamiya 7II / Hasselblad 500CM

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    With respect, I'd look into a used D300 or even D200. You're looking at hybrid workflow(film capture/scanning/manipulation/output). Unless you have a quality lab nearby capable of doing solid C-41 and E6, are willing to pay for it, and accept the learning curve for scanning, then I'd say forget it. For b&w, MF could work but for colour, digital allows you a good deal more flexibility in terms of lighting, speed, and freedom from scanning. There's a reason why product shooters were among the first to ditch film for digital.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Terrible advice here regarding sticking with digital cameras.

Check out the Mamiya RB67 and the Mamiya 645.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Terrible advice here regarding sticking with digital cameras.

Check out the Mamiya RB67 and the Mamiya 645.
    Why? Because it might be practical for the OP's needs and somehow heretical to say so? Get real.

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree with you tomalophicon. And with all due respect to the others... I'm not an idiot. I have been shooting my product shots for 6 years now and am making steady progress. Am I a pro? Depends on what pro means. But do I have a decent understanding of cameras and equipment? Yes and I'm learning more so every day. Just because I have a beginner's DSLR in that I have a D40 doesn't mean I'm a hack, simply a small budget. I can't afford a 5D or D3 etc. I've had SLRs since I was old enough to know what they were. I've never had Medium Format. I'm breaking ground as I reach it.

But I figured I'd ask. I really am concerned about quality and I would NEVER post anything on my site that was shot with an iPhone. Sure it can take the size I mentioned but that's not what I'm after. I want something that has good feel and conveys the emotion of what I'm selling. I'm not currently getting that with my D40. I thought about spending on a better digital but I honestly feel I may find it in film and save money in the process.

I do have a Canon 35mm SLR and a f2.5 50mm macro that I'm sure would work well other than the small negative. I have an Epson Perfection series scanner on the way. I'm serious about this. I don't have a huge budget but I want to build a system that will give the results I'm after.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Why? Because it might be practical for the OP's needs and somehow heretical to say so? Get real.
    Yep, exactly. This isn't the real world, it's APUG.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Yep, exactly. This isn't the real world, it's APUG.
    Right. Selling the idea of the earth as round can be a challenge around here.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Right. Selling the idea of the earth as round can be a challenge around here.
    Try DPUG.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin