Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,080   Online: 1230

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

First Post (Fujifilm GF670)

Hello All,

Long ago I shot medium format film and gave it up when I went digital. I had a Fuji GSW690 and loved the prints I got from those negatives. Lately I'm feeling the bug to go back to medium format and see that Fujifilm has a new camera, the GF670. I see a lot of posts here from several years ago that were very excited about this camera and were waiting in anticipation up till its release. But since it has been out a few years now, I dont see much posting here from users and owners of this camera.

Was the GF670 a dud of a camera?

Not sure if I will go through and buy this camera. The cost is somewhat high and I worry how long will film be around to use? Kodak is in very serious trouble and likely is near the end. Of course, their film division might end up with a new owner. But the future is far from certain for film.

Some other questions I have are, how do you get your film negatives digitized for online use and post processing?

Do you scan yourself?

What is the cost of a decent scanner?

Are the scanning options available from developers cost effective and of good quality?

Thank you for your comments!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG, Mouse.

I think the problem with the Fuji camera was the initial price point as a Voigtlander Bessa III. Even now B&H asks $2,495 for that one. Not unreasonable compared to the other brand new MF offerings. But still, in today's economic climate...

However, when Fuji came out with their own chrome version at a significantly lower price point I think that addressed a lot of the pricing concerns. As you are likely aware, B&H currenty asks "only" $1,664 for this one. That's a big difference.

Big enough that I have my own targeting radar set on the Fuji version (I'd prefer chrome anyway) for sometime in the next couple of months. I had always said that $1,200 - $1,500 was my sweet spot for this camera, and $1,664 is pretty darned close.

Regarding scanning and such, I only scan for uploading to the APUG galleries. Never as a final presentation. And even that scanning is only of final prints. The only exception is color transparencies for APUG display.

And the only "post-processing" I've ever done has been while wearing an apron in my basement darkroom...

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 10-18-2011 at 01:36 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Fat fingers...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Welcome to APUG, Mouse.

I think the problem with the Fuji camera was the initial price point as a Voigtlander Bessa III. Even now B&H asks $2,495 for that one. Not unreasonable compared to the other brand new MF offerings. But still, in today's economic climate...

However, when Fuji came out with their own chrome version at a significantly lower price point I think that addressed a lot of the pricing concerns. As you are likely aware, B&H currenty asks "only" $1,664 for this one. That's a big difference.

Big enough that I have my own targeting radar set on the Fuji version (I'd prefer chrome anyway) for sometime in the next couple of months. I had always said that $1,200 - $1,500 was my sweet spot for this camera, and $1,664 is pretty darned close.

Regarding scanning and such, I only scan for uploading to the APUG galleries. Never as a final presentation. And even that scanning is only of final prints. The only exception is color transparencies for APUG display.

And the only "post-processing" I've ever done has been while wearing an apron in my basement darkroom...

Ken

Ken,

Thanks for your humorous reply! I can't get into the chemical side of film quite yet. Perhaps the future.

Yes, the Fuji is much cheaper, which is very strange when you consider that they are the same camera!

A big part of whether or not I go back into film is how expensive and hard the scanning part is. I am not sure where to learn all the details about this. I hope someone here can help out.

Thanks again!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi RattyMouse,

There's still a lot of film around, Ilford and Fuji are still two big players that have a lot of film offerings. I guess a bigger question is whether you shoot colour (where are options are getting more limited) or black and white (where options are still very healthy).

As for scanning and such, that's mostly an off-topic subject for this website, but many people scan just for posting to sites (not final presentation) -- whether it's the negative, positive, or print. Personally, I find it tedious (but necessary) even though I have a proper film scanner (which I can no longer use due to the drive not being updated) and a decent (film) flatbed scanner. I think only you can decide how much time and money you want to invest in such a venture. If you can get good scans done from wherever you get your rolls processed, that may make things easier. In any event, you'll probably find more information over at DPUG (or other digital photography sites).

By the way, welcome to APUG!
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseontheloose View Post
    Hi RattyMouse,

There's still a lot of film around, Ilford and Fuji are still two big players that have a lot of film offerings. I guess a bigger question is whether you shoot colour (where are options are getting more limited) or black and white (where options are still very healthy).

As for scanning and such, that's mostly an off-topic subject for this website, but many people scan just for posting to sites (not final presentation) -- whether it's the negative, positive, or print. Personally, I find it tedious (but necessary) even though I have a proper film scanner (which I can no longer use due to the drive not being updated) and a decent (film) flatbed scanner. I think only you can decide how much time and money you want to invest in such a venture. If you can get good scans done from wherever you get your rolls processed, that may make things easier. In any event, you'll probably find more information over at DPUG (or other digital photography sites).

By the way, welcome to APUG!
    Thank you for the reply! I am afraid I did not notice that scanning the final image was not on topic here at this board. I mistakenly assumed that most here did that. I took analogue to mean film as opposed to digital; not thinking all the way through.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Thank you for the reply! I am afraid I did not notice that scanning the final image was not on topic here at this board. I mistakenly assumed that most here did that. I took analogue to mean film as opposed to digital; not thinking all the way through.
    No, you were right, but the problem with anything remotely related to digital is that it can derail threads into digital-only discussions which is not what this place is about (after all, there are plenty of other places on the web to discuss digital photography and scanning). It's just easier to draw a clean line across the board than trying to deal with the mess of what topics are acceptable (scanning? after all, we all do it; hybrid work? very common, etc..) or not. Many people here also shoot with digital cameras, they just don't discuss it here.

But you are very welcome here, and there are a lot of knowledgable, friendly people here who can help you with your questions concerning cameras, film, and other analog-friendly topics.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can access DPUG, and also PhotoNet's, Digital Darkroom forum for info/solutions to your hybrid workflow questions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Back to the Fuji GF670 / Cosina Voigtländer Bessa III 667:

It's a reasonable solid build 6x6cm and 6x7cm roll film camera. The best features are the double format, bright V.F. and the camera is increadible silent. The Heliar 3,5/80mm lens is pretty good although has some vignetting on 3,5 wide open. It's compact when travelling. I like the Black C.V. version and in Europe it's sold with 3 years warranty too.

About film: Don't worry, if ordering on-line there are so many possibilities. Even in the small "lage landen, Holland" country it is not any problem. But also in Odessa (Ukraine) there is still enough for sale but unfortunately more expensive.

Here a few shots on this camera:

All on Fuji Reala 100 (C41) CN roll film.
    Greetz,

Роберт
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    GF670 should be a good camera with very good lens and good metering - even if maybe not as robust as the older meter less GW690 rangefinder.

If you have budget limitations (in the long run) than check how much are you going to pay for film, development and scanning - if you shoot a lot this may sum up pretty quickly.

Do not worry about the film - you will wear your cameras down and film will still be around (BW at least, and that is what matters )

I would not go into digital part of you questions as this is strictly analogue forum - there are other fora where you can find a lot of helpful information (DPUG, rangefinderforum, LFF are known to me). I would definitely advice you to read up more on the topic before taking the decision. It really pays.

But this place here is THE place to learn about cameras, film, development, printing ... many experienced members around here and many interesting threads (searching around is good idea).

Oh, and welcome to APUG

Shooter
    35mm
    Epson v700 is all you will need for 95% of work. Love the fuji rangefinders just got a 645 very nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin