Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,583   Online: 1146

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

RZ Focusing Screen Type B?

I have a focusing screen for a Mamiya RZ67 which on the box says "Type B". On the side it says "rangefinder spot", but it totally looks like a regular focusing screen.

I've searched on Google and nothing turn up about a Type B focusing screen.

Can somebody help me out?

Thanks!

Escaped Bakersfield, CA. Now in Indianapolis.
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't know if the RZ takes the same screens as the RB, but I know some about the screens.

What exactly do you mean by 'regular' focusing screen?

The one supplied (at least with the RB) is the plain matte screen. Nothing else in the viewfinder except the frame lines.

The rangefinder spot screen (which I also have for my RB) is not the same as what you'd see on a 35mm rangefinder camera with the two images that overlap when they're in focus. These screens have a 'split-image' spot that is VERY common on most 35mm SLR cameras since the 70s or so.

I'm thinking you may be thinking of the split-image finders as 'regular' because they're so common on small format SLRs, to the point of being what you'd expect on most.

I don't know if that helps. I'm not exactly sure what you're asking to be honest.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm not sure if you mean that you have an extra screen, with a box marked Type B, which you haven't used yet. If so, it should be easy to fit it and therefore see what the difference is, if any, to the currently fitted screen. Instructions for changing the screen are on page 34 of the camera manual, which can be found here: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/mamiya/...amiya_rz67.htm

The screen which is fitted to my RZ67 has a central split image. Personally I don't see how a "rangefinder-type" dual image would work, on a camera which doesn't have a rangefinder fitted- so perhaps the wording on the box is misleading.

Escaped Bakersfield, CA. Now in Indianapolis.
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by landscapepics View Post
    Personally I don't see how a "rangefinder-type" dual image would work, on a camera which doesn't have a rangefinder fitted- so perhaps the wording on the box is misleading.
    Agreed. I've never really liked when they use the word 'rangefinder' instead of 'split-image' or 'split-focus' or whatever.

Just adds more confusion if you ask me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does the screen have dark/blacked out corners?
    Also, does the box or screen have a six digit part number, ie...#212-421 or #212-424, etc...?

RZ Accessory link at Butkus Manuals, PDF Page 6:
    http://www.cameramanuals.org/mamiya_...ccessories.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format

speaking of RZ screens

Speaking of RZ screens, I have a spare type D crosshairs screen (ideal for macro and/or long telephoto) for the RZ that I won't be needing. Feel free to email/PM.

-Ed

Shooter
    Large Format
    Mamiya RZ67 Instructions (1987 Version)

Page 46, page heading

“Accessories

Focusing Screens RZ

Type B Rangefinder Spot

Same as Type A Matte, but with central split-image rangefinder wedge added. Matte surface can be used for focusing, but split-image rangefinder significantly boosts focusing precision."

The RZ67 manual on various websites now is, I think, a different version that doesn’t list the Type B focusing screen. The type A screen is the standard screen installed on new RZ67 cameras.

My manual also has line drawings accompanying each screen described in the list. The drawing matches the description.

From your description of the screen in the box, it is most likely a standard Type A screen in a box that originally held a Type B screen.

The type B screen is distinctly different from the Type A screen in having the central split-image rangefinder.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin