Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,577   Posts: 1,545,715   Online: 794

Shooter
    Multi Format

Stiff back on a Mamiya RB67

I recently picked up a Mamiya RB67 pro SD along with a whole host of other backs (some Pro S and Pro backs), but there's one wrinkle:

The Pro SD back adaptor's revolving action is fairly stiff, and I have to put a lot of power into turning it to get it to turn it into vertical orientation. I originally thought to get some lubricant, like the kind they use for power tools, but I've been told that at no point should liquid be going anywhere near the camera if possible. Is there any way to loosen the back so that it revolves more smoothly?

Also, how good is the weather sealing on the RBs? I am considering taking it to the beach but am worried about sand getting into the camera.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nightbringer View Post
    I recently picked up a Mamiya RB67 pro SD along with a whole host of other backs (some Pro S and Pro backs), but there's one wrinkle:

The Pro SD back adaptor's revolving action is fairly stiff, and I have to put a lot of power into turning it to get it to turn it into vertical orientation. I originally thought to get some lubricant, like the kind they use for power tools, but I've been told that at no point should liquid be going anywhere near the camera if possible. Is there any way to loosen the back so that it revolves more smoothly?

Also, how good is the weather sealing on the RBs? I am considering taking it to the beach but am worried about sand getting into the camera.
    The don't exactly spin like a pinwheel but that's way too much force. Any chance you could detach the back then detach the adapter from the camera to see if the seals are the problem?

They're not weather-resistant but they are mechanical. Think about points-of-entry for sand. Keep it out of the sand, don't shoot if there's blowing sand, and be careful about lens/back changes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The adaptor comes off the back fine. The Pro S backs on the Pro S adaptor turn fine - I have to put a bit of force into it but nowhere near the amount that I have to for the Pro SD.

Some pictuers of the adaptor:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo 25-10-11 3 17 53 PM.jpg   Photo 25-10-11 3 18 33 PM.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Other than using some 3 in 1 oil how about sending to a camera repaier near where you live.

Jeff

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Can't tell much from your pix--sorry!

You might try contacting via PM "paul ron." He knows a thing or three about Mamiya RBs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the heads up - I'm going to take the camera into my local camera shop today, otherwise I will take your advice and contact paul ron.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    UPDATE:

I took it to the camera shop, one of the older techs looked at it and remarked that there's something wrong inside - and that apparently sand has also got inside too. He'd have to take it apart to fix it, be quite a cost :S

Shooter
    Multi Format

Could it be bent?

My guess is that it is bent. If it had been dropped that might be the case. It would be a little hard to tell, and I really don't know how to determine if it is bent other than to lay in down on a flat surface and see if it rocks. Sorry I'm drawing a blank here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I tried doing what you said Ric - it's seems to lie flat on a flat surface and it doesn't seem to rock much.
    It's hard to tell accurately because there are so many bits poking out no matter which way you try to lie/stand it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Your rev back probably just need to be relubed. The old stuff becomes like pancake batter over the years. Best way to clena n lube it is to split the plates. 4 flat clips n srings are holding it together.

Don't use oil or liquid lubes it gums it up even more n makes a mess of things. Since it is aluminum the old lube is full of particles, so it tends to have a grinding effect when adding any liquid to it.

PM me, we can discuss it more?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin