Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,471   Posts: 1,570,932   Online: 815

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Definitely not a substitute. If you want light and high quality, though, Fuji is hard to beat with any of their rangefinders (I have a GA645zi). The thing I miss when no shooting the hasselblad is the square neg and the nice, mechanical feel. A classic Rolleiflex might be a nice option for you also. Good luck!

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    sell the 40mm and buy what you want. Use it for a bit before you decide. You will have no trouble selling a 40mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nijo View Post
    sell the 40mm and buy what you want. Use it for a bit before you decide. You will have no trouble selling a 40mm.
    True, that (40mm C T*)alone might get me half the way to the Fuji rangefinder. The lens was CLA'd has the optional hood, lens cap and I had a leather guy create a leather lens cap/hook like you find on 30mm nikon lenses and longer. It is really cool, slips over the lens, has basket weave tooling on it, draw string and all. It is very fast and easy to use in the field, and looks fantastic.

I know as time goes on I will be better off by shedding more pounds both in my camera equipment and the girth type too. Makes getting about easier and I do hope to enable myself to do more and more outside trecking and keeping the equipment weight down will help expecially in the winter time when I use trecking poles and ice cleats.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here is the weight breakdown... the 40 = 2lb,1/4oz, 50 = 1lb,12oz (both have the same focusing range and the 40 has approx 10 degrees more angle of view), 80 = 1lb,2oz, 120 = 1lb,8 1/4oz, 150 =1lb,11 1/4oz, 500CM with an A12 and waist level viewfinder = 2lb,2oz.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyg View Post
    Here is the weight breakdown... the 40 = 2lb,1/4oz, 50 = 1lb,12oz (both have the same focusing range and the 40 has approx 10 degrees more angle of view), 80 = 1lb,2oz, 120 = 1lb,8 1/4oz, 150 =1lb,11 1/4oz, 500CM with an A12 and waist level viewfinder = 2lb,2oz.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/
    Interesting, the Fuji is 35.3 oz as per B&H. That is 2.2 lbs. The 500 C/M, film back, WLF, 80mm and 50mm comes out to be flat 5 pounds with bigger bulk. Loosing the 50mm to match the profile of the fixed 80mm lens on the Fuji it comes in at 3lbs 4 oz. So the savings are not extensive; 1.2 pounds it just the shape and size difference that I believe will be the deciding factor.

Thanks for the input.

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've owned the Voigtlander Bessa III version of the GF670, and can vouch for its compactness vs a Hassy V series. Plus, you can shoot 6x7 and 6x6 with it.

I ultimately decided to part ways with the Bessa though because of some issues that cropped up when using it in very cold weather. The rangefinder mechanism essentially broke in the middle of a shoot, and it took me months to get "repaired" (long story... bottom line, I never got "my" camera back from the dealer, but rather a demo model). I've been using a Mamiya 7ii ever since, and from the perspective of switching out a 500 system for a rangefinder, I think you will want to consider the usefulness of being able to swap out lenses on the Mamiya, vs the fixed lens on the Fuji. You do get a little bit of an extra wide aperture on the Fuji (f/3.5 75mm vs f/4.0 80mm), and it does fold down pretty flat, making it a truly portable, carry in your jacket pocket kind of camera. But I decided to go with the Mamiya, and after switching, wouldn't go back. It is a much more solid feeling camera, the rangefinder mechanism is a lot more protected from the elements, and there are 5 very good quality lenses to choose from, as opposed to the fixed 75mm on the Fuji.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I need a wide for my Hassy... so if you decide to part with one, PM me!

And I do agree with keeping some of the hassy system. The weight difference of a 500 series + A12 + 80mm is just over a pound. That pound may add up over a good trek, but you can get lighter boots : )
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I completely understand where you are coming from. I have a blad setup also and really prefer using a lighter simpler camera, for the style of work i use the blad for. I was looking into getting something like a fuji rangefinder or a rolleiflex. (I use a rolleicord also, as i really like TLRís) The blad is great and all but it just does not fit my style.

After saying all of that, i canít get rid of it, the images i produce with it are ones I am happy with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought my Hasselblad was big and heavy... Until I went on a hike with a Mamiya RZ!
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    good point.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin