Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,870   Online: 897

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm voting for the brick Koni Omega Rapid etc despite it's size.
    Cheap and simple with great glass and a leaf shutter.

I dig the ergonomics for non tripod work where I want enlargement capabilities.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have shot an RB67 handheld with good results. If indoors doing people shots, a grip flash will serve you well. Outdoors depending on subject and lighting, you can get away with the bare camera. A multi-angle grip or L-grip is recommended.

NJS
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    Another vote for the GS-1. No rotating back, but a very solid piece of kit. I prefer it with the WLF as opposed to a prism; makes it a lot lighter, and gives the compositional advantage of a ground glass. Whatever you choose, 6x7 is a great format.

..and what compositional dis-advantage when you try to use it in portrait orientation!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NJS View Post
    ..and what compositional dis-advantage when you try to use it in portrait orientation!
    There's a rotary prism for that!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NJS View Post
    That is very true. I have acutally tried it in portrait mode, but I wouldn't recommend it.
    Handheld + WLF + Portrait orientation = a very good reason to choose a different camera.

(But I still love my GS-1)
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I geuss I'm strange I always use a tripod, from 35mm to medium format.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Re. the rangefinder Mamiya 7, I'm told there are issues with rangefinder accuracy when using the 150mm lens, but it's fine with the wides and normal lenses. I often use a Mamiyaflex C330s and find it's possible to handhold steadily lenses up to the 135mm pair. The leaf shutters are virtually vibration free. I have often gone out with a C330, plus 55mm, 80mm, and 135mm lenses in a small bag with no tripod. It's actually lighter to cart around than some 35mm equivalent outfits!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The secret of handheld work in any format is choice of film.

I shoot almost all my 6x6 Yashicamat & Rolleiflex hand held and quite a bit of 5x4 with a Crown Graphic and now a Super Graphic and taht means using a film that allows at least 1/100th at f16 or 22 with the 5x4, f11/f16 with the TLR's.

With a MF SLR camera 6x6, 645 or 6x7 you do need to use higher shutter speeds hand held because of the effcts of the mirror.

So you nneed to go for films like Tmax & Delta 400, or HP5 unless it's very bright weather or your happy working at wide apertures.

Ian

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

Mamiya 7

Got to be the Mamiya 7. VERY easy to handhold down to 1/15 sec. Great lenses, great versatility. Only shortcoming is portraiture. Not so easy to get tight enough for a headshot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Light (1000g), portable and collapsable. Film format 6x6cm or 6x7cm and shutter speeds till 1/15S-1/30S handhold and a super silent shutter:
    C.V. Bessa III 667.
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin