Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,538   Posts: 1,544,278   Online: 797

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Mamiya Press Universal cameras have a combined rangefinder/viewfinder, are easy to shoot and cheap these days. They aren't light or compact however with the handle. I like mine a lot. They are easier (or less tiring) to hold if you remove the handle and trip the shutter directly with your finger. I adapted a close-fitting grip to mine to make it a little easier to grip.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by b.cipolla View Post
    Hey guys. I have been shooting 4x5 for the past couple of years and want to make the move to MF for more portability and versatility without sacrificing negative size by shooting 35 mm. Ideally, I would like to shoot 6x7, but I've got the feeling that tripods are often used with cumbersome 6x7 SLR systems like the Pentax 6x7 and Mamiya RB or RZ systems, which I would like to get away from after shooting 4x5. At first, I wanted an SLR because I did not love the focusing system of a rangefinder or twin lens reflex. However, I got the feeling that if I want to shoot 6x7, I'm going to have to get used to a rangefinder or a twin lens reflex if I don't want a very large camera. In general, I am looking for a good handheld MF camera, that I can find for a moderate price, for a range of subjects, that will take a good negative. I don't tend to focus on one subject matter. I was wondering if any of you had any other suggestions for good handheld 6x7 MF cameras. Thanks!
    If you shoot both horizontals and verticals, you should really consider the Bronica SQ, square format. They are DIRT CHEAP at KEH.com, and the lenses are really sharp. And did I mention DIRT CHEAP? There are no rotation issues, just crop to what you want. Electronic shutters, nice build.

I use my big dog Mamiya RZ for my projects when I'm on location, both handheld and tripod mounted. But my everyday, keep it in the car camera is my Bronica SQ. It's a very light and compact MF, even with my 110 Macro lens.

The other issue is really one of accessories. Do you need to have multiple lenses and backs with you at all times? If so, nothing is very light or compact! I'm a big believer in one camera and one lens; focus on the picture and not on the endless choices an overloaded camera bag will supply.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    35mm
    I have an RB67. Would I use it handheld with the prism finder and 100-200mm zoom (with bracket)? Ummmm, no. Definitely too heavy and cumbersome.

However, it's a different story with the 90mm or 127mm lens and a waist level finder. I use this combo handheld with no problems. It's a bit big hanging off my shoulder by the strap, but I don't find it too heavy to use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have recently started using a secondhand Mamiya 7 (I have three other MF cameras) and love it. It's much lighter than my 35mm Nikon F4, easy to hold, the shutter is astonishingly quiet and as has been said before, it can be hand-held at 1/15th second (like my MPP Microcord). If you're not bothered about weight, then the Fuji cameras would be excellent value.
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin