Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,974   Posts: 1,523,628   Online: 1078

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could be right about the image circle and focus distance- also, were the f-stops different?

And yes, I've seen this distortion before, commonly on ultrawide angle lenses on 35mm.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I notice it says the "S" lenses were not multicoated- is that so? Given that the "E" lenses for the ETR series were, and came out earlier, that doesn't seem to make much sense. The PS lenses came out in 1986, awfully late for multicoating, especially considering that according to their website, they stopped calling the ETR lenses MC in the mid-80's because "the multicoating technique was so universal as to not require that notice".
    Not sure I'm buying the categorical ruling either that S lenses weren't multi-coated. Perhaps lenses made at the time of the original SQ roll-out but later? Seems likely they did what Nikon did: better coatings were incorporated as they became available without much fanfare until watershed redesigns comparable to the NAI-AI transition when coating upgrades were already in place(e.g., Nikkor K-series lenses and earlier). Intelligent use of more-or-less correct lens hoods can make a big difference in dodging flare issues.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bronica did it with the ETR series lenses so little reason to think they did not do it with their other lines of lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The original SQ came out in 1980, four years after the ETR; by then multicoating was in wide use, so it seems unlikely any of the "S" lenses were not multicoated. It's of course easy to check if anyone has any "S" lenses.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The original SQ came out in 1980, four years after the ETR; by then multicoating was in wide use, so it seems unlikely any of the "S" lenses were not multicoated. It's of course easy to check if anyone has any "S" lenses.
    How?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By looking for the multiple colored reflections in multicoated lenses vs. the two or maybe three colors from non-multicoated lenses. The color differences tend to be more distinct, too. The multicoated lenses I have seen all contain a green reflection as one of the colors, and as far as I recall, none of the non-multicoated ones I have seen do.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    By looking for the multiple colored reflections in multicoated lenses vs. the two or maybe three colors from non-multicoated lenses. The color differences tend to be more distinct, too. The multicoated lenses I have seen all contain a green reflection as one of the colors, and as far as I recall, none of the non-multicoated ones I have seen do.
    My 105/3.5S appears multi-coated. Have seen 80/2.8S examples both ways, the multi-coated examples probably being newer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My MC (multicoated) series lenses for the ETR series show much less distinction than the PE lenses, especially in the longer focal lengths, so there's that, too. I guess because of fewer elements than the wide angles. The green reflection is there, though.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    We'll probably never know for certain. Nikon apparently slapped upgraded coatings on lenses during NAI days with no fanfare. There's also the running debate whether Nikon put "ED" glass into the AI 180/2.8 without an ID on the barrels similar to the later AiS version. You'd think we had better things to do, right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you've seen the same lens both ways, that could be what happened. My impression at the time regarding Nikon is as you stated. It's like they phased in I.C. coating before they started calling it that. Some others didn't seem to make a deal out of it either, like Olympus. Maybe because they were behind others (just conjecture).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin