Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,932   Posts: 1,585,465   Online: 995

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What about some Zeiss or Voigtländer folders...?
    Capable shooters, very compact, reliable, easy to repair, fit half of Your budget and are RF style, can go up to 6x9.
    Rolleis and Hassies are nice but very far away from Leica concept and hardly a pocketable cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Consider the Rb67 Mamiyas

When I looked at what I wanted, the Mamiya RB67 Pro S was the ticket. The advantages are they are cheap, the negatives are the next thing to a 4X5 and you have a camera that can go digital if film ever becomes history. Also, you can put a Polaroid back on them. Things you can't do with a TLR. With some of the TLR's you are stuck with a very limited amount of lenses. If you are doing rapid changing of film, with the RB's you can have inserts that were previously loaded and just pop them in. This is true of the 645 AF's too. The reason that a lot of cameras get slower speeds over time I think is that they don't get used. Even if I don't use a camera for some time, I take it out and trip the shutter at least once a month. If you are using your Rollei enough, you shouldn't be having much problems with it getting slow shutter speeds and such.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd say something from the Bronica SQ line. With that, you get the square format that you seem to like, but you also get all the benefits of an SLR with exchangeable magazines. Hassy would be a higher-quality option if you can afford it, though the Bronica is by no means a slouch.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also recommed a Mamiya RB 67. Maybe a little big and heavy side, but still a great camera.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A properly serviced Rolleiflex will give you a camera good for the next 40 years. Look for a T or an Automat from the '50s. Both seem like good bricks. I 2nd the ETRs line if looking to stay on a tight budget. It is a workhorse with 1st rate lenses and a good range of focal lengths. It has multiple backs and finders as well as grips so it can handle almost as you please. A one lens kit in excellent can be had in the $200 range.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the input everyone, I think for now I'm leaning towards the 500c or cm, I'm still not sure which one I'd go for. Illumiquest on APUG always seems to have a few 500's for sale. What are your thoughts on those and a 80mm lens? I don't know all the differences between the types...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Sorry, also are there more people who think the Mamiya might be a good choice? Or is it simply too large/heavy?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david3558 View Post
    Sorry, also are there more people who think the Mamiya might be a good choice? Or is it simply too large/heavy?
    Depends on which Mamiya you are talking about. I sold my RZ because it was too big and heavy. My 4x5 is lighter, and because of the weight I wanted to use them both on a tripod all the time. The RB is even heavier. The 645 Pro TL is a very nice hand holdable camera, especially with the winder grip on it. The Hassy is in between in my opinion. The Mamiya 7 is the best hand holdable camera I have, including 35mm. The lack of mirror really helps, and I think it's more the mirror's effect on me and not the internal vibrations. Very close to what I imagine a Leica is like.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by david3558 View Post
    No clue about the kind of shooting you'll be doing most often with your MF rig. That's bound to affect what we recommend, right? Too large/heavy for what? Help us help you.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm so sorry! My mistake, forgot to mention the Mamiya C330 was the camera I was referring too

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin