Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,014   Online: 890

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need to visit my collection .

I have and use a variety of Mamiya equipment - C330, 645 Pro and RB67.

I've also tried out a Koni-Omega setup (now sold) and a couple of basic medium format folders (underused).

The three Mamiyas () each have their own strengths and weaknesses. I wouldn't recommend against any of them.

For me, each of them are easier to handle than a Hasselblad, but issues of ergonomics are very personal. In particular, if you are left-handed like me, I think the Mamiya cameras handle the best (with the Mamiya grips.

If you like to do closeup/macro work, the RB67 is my favourite of my three choices, but all three are capable.

For fill flash and location work, the C330 is superb. And a C330 kit with two or three lenses is relatively small and light.

The 645 Pro handles a lot like a 35mm, especially with a left-hand grip.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was almost in the same boat as you, thinking about the move to medium format from 35mm a while back.

My choices were:

6*6 Hasselblad (I landed on 503CW due to digital compatibility, but I wasn't really looking to save money either). 500CM and cx are also very interesting and great cameras.

6*7 Mamiya RZ67 pro II, no question, they are cheap now days, I wouldn't consider the RB series, only RZ. I got a great deal on a RZ67 pro II with two lenses, which I love.

I am currently looking for a Pentax67 II , due to the DSLR design of the camera. This is probably one of the most versatile cameras out there for medium format film, you use it as a (big-ass) DSLR.
    I am looking out for mark II of this one, simply because it is more modern in design and operation, but the mark I is a good deal as well.

If I were you, I would not consider any format less than 6*6, after all, moving to medium format, for me, was about getting the bigger negatives.

Don't know if that helped though =)
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by david3558 View Post
    I'm so sorry! My mistake, forgot to mention the Mamiya C330 was the camera I was referring too
    Fine but what types of shooting are you planning on? People can't help much without some specifics, OK?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Honestly, I don't really fall into a specific category of shooting, at least I wouldn't know how to describe it. You can look at my flickr and determine that!

Thanks!

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/davidctsai/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Another vote here for keeping the Rolleiflex!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Haha it's too late! I got rid of it already, I'm sure I'll buy one eventually again, but I really don't want to deal with the issues it had, I don't have the time, patience, or money right now. I'd much rather buy one in optically good condition and then invest in a CLA. Why settle when I can get something that will really keep me happy in the long run right?

Right now, I'm really thinking hard about the Mamiya C330 and the Hasselblad 500 series. The problem is I don't know whether or not I should get the 500c or the 500cm. Granted the 500c is cheaper, but the 500cm has a generally newer body, replaceable focusing screens, and a mirror lock up - thoughts? I don't know how big the price difference is...

Shooter
    35mm
    Fuji GA645 series cameras - awesome range finders with great meters, leica quality lenses, and around 500-600 bucks.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have all 3 = the Zi zoom, the 645Wi wide, and the 645i. I regularly choose them over my Contax 645 due to their light weight, and fun ease of use. plus, spectacular results!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't go "cheap" on getting the Rolleiflex fixed. You get what you pay for...you'll just have to do it again later...
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Agreed! So thoughts on the following:

"Right now, I'm really thinking hard about the Mamiya C330 and the Hasselblad 500 series. The problem is I don't know whether or not I should get the 500c or the 500cm. Granted the 500c is cheaper, but the 500cm has a generally newer body, replaceable focusing screens, and a mirror lock up - thoughts? I don't know how big the price difference is..."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin